Discuss Apprentice not getting enough experience... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanSwift1988

I'm on my 4th year doing electrical installation and have got my AM2 coming up soon. The problem is I work for a contractor who ONLY do house bashing work, and proper house bashing rewires in a day 1st and 2nd fix etc I'm just slightly worried I will be overwhelmed when it comes to the AM2? was there anybody in a similar situation to mine and if so how did you get on? It's embarrassing to admit but I wouldn't have a clue where to start with a 3 phase DB and my knowledge on 3 phase installations is awful. Has anybody got any suggestions for getting some more experience with 3 phase stuff? I'm not sure what the point of this thread is really :D

It sounds like your company needed a labourer rather than an apprentice when they employed you. Have you broached the subject with them? Is there anywhere within your present company you could get better experience? Have you looked at the possibility of changing employers.

I was in a similar boat to you're self , but I practiced in Coleg all the bits that where outside my day to day working routine , principles are mostly the same I remember practising conduit , motor wiring I was quite good at micc from class room experience ( for some reason we did a lot on micc in Coleg ?? ) so practice in Coleg work shop do your homework , and best of luck to you

I'm in the same boat, I can't get enough information on three phase only passing comments about rotation. I am offering myself as free labour to Sparkies for experience. It's a pain not getting paid but experience is everything, or so the Wife says.

This may sound harsh but don’t you think you should have been pushing this a little earlier?
You’re collage is the first place to ask. They may be able to set up a secondment so you get the experience.
There’s only one person to help you and that is you.

When you say your AM2 is coming up soon, what time frame are we looking at?

What course you doing? 2330 and 2356 or 2357? Where are you based? My local AM2 centre did a refresh course for people in your position, explains the install and testing. You do know that there is no containment to install? Just wire it up in 8 and 1/2 hours.

How have your satisfied your NVQ requirements if you are not involved in other areas apart from house bashing? What guidance is your NVQ assessor providing you?

try get some commercial work at least....where theres a 3 phase intake & associated equipment....panels etc...

I agree. Quit the company who are funding your apprenticeship and look around for a job as a mate on a commercial site. There are hundreds of jobs about.

In the real world, a few years ago when I had my AM2 coming up, I was worried sick about Pyro as I was working industrial and hadn't seen much beyond SWA, arctic and wiring cabins. Luckily, my boss was a nice guy and when I asked him he got me some pyro tools and a few lengths of pyro to strip while work was quiet.

In short, just mention it to your boss. Hopefully he'll be able to explain that the 3phase work in the AM2 isn't too different to the single phase work you're doing. He might even be able to gather some materials about to practice a bit. No harm in asking.

I suggest doing the 2day am2 refresher course.

When it come to 3phase it's pretty straight forward just remember brown/black/grey = l1/l2/l3.

The s plan heating system is pretty straight forward as well it's just following numbers on the wiring diagram.

Hope all goes well mate.

Bloody hell this is an active forum, didn't even expect one reply!

My AM2 will be around May/July 2014 so around 8 months, it seems like a long time but I'm sure it will fly.

I agree with the comments about the company (naming no names) just needed cheap labour, a real p*** take. The NVQ requirements aren't that difficult to satisfy, most of it can be covered domestically and you are allowed to do some parts in college.

I can't just quit the job either, I have a mortgage and 3yr old to look after. On top of that there really isn't that much work around here? I think the only thing I can hope for is to try and get some voluntary work in at the weekends or practise on the rigs in college/do a refresher course.

I'm in Bangor, North Wales so if anyone local spots this and has anything available let me know, just want to learn :)

First thing Dan is not to panic and keep cool about the whole thing.
We make mistakes when we panic!

As for your predicament well I agree with the other guys have a word with your college lecturers, They will have 3 phase training rigs you will be able to practice on, 3 phase is not that difficult.
Just think of it as 3 single phase circuits all together but slightly out of sync with each other.
Also remember depending on the system there is not always a neutral.

You could also try approaching local commercial/industrial units and vounteer to work along side some of their electricians/engineers you will probably be turned away from most but its always worth asking.

Hi there dan I have just recently passed my am2 and you only have to install two three phase circuits a commando socket and a supply to the DOL starter. You get given a distribution diagram it says which phase and way you youse. If there's anything I can help you with just ask us pal while it's kind of fresh in me mind lol

Reply to Apprentice not getting enough experience... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net