Discuss apprentice practical test in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

john fonz

I am trying to get myself an apprentice, I've passed the theoretical side of the test, however I've now got to pass the practical, I have no knowledge of electrical equipment as of yet. Has anyone done a practical test and what should I expect, what tools am I likely to use?

Kind Regards and any notes would be reallly useful

Jonny

Fonzy, you're trying to get yourself an apprenticeship, surely? What theoretical test have you passed? The 2330 level 2 and 3 both have practical elements.

I am slightly suspicious of the lack of information in your post , but before I write you off, could you expand on your background, current academic studies, and what ever experience you don't have.

Tools you are likely to use??? I will await your response before further garnishing your query with a response.

If it is an apprenticeship you are after, then i would assume that you will be having some sort of practical assessment, if so then this will be just to confirm that your are not a complete nugget. You will probably be given a small easy task to complete, and will be provided with the appropriate tools to do it. What they will be looking for is for you to use the correct tool for the task, so if you have a choice of say pliers, wire strippers or a stanley knife to bare a cable they will expect you to use the wire strippers. If you need to put a screw into a wall plug you would use the screwdriver not a hammer, and so on. You might laugh, i have seen skilled blokes hammer screws into wall plugs.

Cheers.........Howard

If it is an apprenticeship you are after, then i would assume that you will be having some sort of practical assessment, if so then this will be just to confirm that your are not a complete nugget. You will probably be given a small easy task to complete, and will be provided with the appropriate tools to do it. What they will be looking for is for you to use the correct tool for the task, so if you have a choice of say pliers, wire strippers or a stanley knife to bare a cable they will expect you to use the wire strippers. If you need to put a screw into a wall plug you would use the screwdriver not a hammer, and so on. You might laugh, i have seen skilled blokes hammer screws into wall plugs.

Cheers.........Howard

you mean there's another way

A favourite test is to simply wire a plug. So have a go at home, make sure the cord grip holds on to the out sleeve, there isn’t to much bare conductor show but also the insulation isn’t trapped by the terminal. It won’t be anything major.

Cheers.........Howard

That's great mate thanks for the help. Yes it is an apprenticeship I am after. I will start practicing wiring a plug.

Reply to apprentice practical test in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net