Search the forum,

Discuss Apprentice Wage Help!?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Samj167

I've recently been offered an electrical apprenticeship. However I received my contract in the post today and I saw that my wage is going to be £2.65. I'm 19 years of age and have rent, car insurance etc to pay for so I was wondering am I expecting too much? Or as I'm thinking is this not enough?

PS... I know it is within the minimum wage for a first year apprentice I was just hoping for a little more considering my age.

THANKS!

I am afraid its is, I pay £5 an hour to 16 year olds you would get £6 but this is good opportunity you may not get another at moment but it is a joke

I'm afraid you're probably expecting too much mate but I'm thinking that your employer will get some sort of government subsidy for employing you so you could ask him if there's any way you could get a bit more. My first pay packet contained the princely sum of £20

yeah. trev., but that was when the regs were written in latin.

Also there is no other way to become a real live sparky, **** starting wage but hopefully with a bit of hard work a half decent wage in 5/6 years

tax credits would probably boost your earnings, but you have to apply for it. my lad's on low wage and gets a £52/week tax credit .

Cheers Stuart. I'm thinking I may just have to take this on the chin and try and make it work the best as possible. I'm very keen to become an electrician so I can live with this.

Good man you wont regret it, make sure you get every qual you can out of company and one piece of advice if you accept the amount you get paid get on with it and dont moan about it remember you are going in right direction. Good luck

Pop along to your Town Hall and ask for claim forms for Housing Benefit,Council Tax Benefit for a start.

Then go on the HMRC website and find the correct way to apply for Child Tax Credits.

I'm sure there will be something to help you along.

And good luck with your apprenticeship.

Lol Ive seen some very bad sparkies on apprentiships they go through it like its gods gift. Depends on the lad and education they recieve on sites...

£2.95 is very bad, but you get all your qualifications and experience on the job, (Price them up yourself, you dont do 17th and Test inspection if i remember right in apprentiship.), ask if you get a van or use your car if VAn then you save money with petrol, If your car then ask for a milage allowance, or claim back at end of year, your entitled to £0.45p a mile this way www.gov etc sry dont know page.

Thanks for all your help guys... I'll phone them up tomorrow and explain my situation and I will see if there's anything they can do for me. If not then never mind! I need the training there isn't much else I can do!

The only plus of that wage is you will get nearly 100% pay rise in year 2.
Not many people are getting that sort of pay rise...

not always true.

im definatly leaving my current company as soon as finished aprentaship (done half off my portfolio)

no ones pay ever increases at all and its low, a guy started an apprenticeship with us and i think was on £20 a day

ive been there nearly a year and same pay as when i started!!!

not always true.

im definatly leaving my current company as soon as finished aprentaship (done half off my portfolio)

no ones pay ever increases at all and its low, a guy started an apprenticeship with us and i think was on £20 a day

ive been there nearly a year and same pay as when i started!!!

He will get the pay rise because it's the NMW. He is 19 so he starts at £2.65 an hour for the first year then it goes to £4.98 an hour.

Reply to Apprentice Wage Help!?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock