Discuss approved contractor top dogs???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RichardMoore

I've been brought upto to think that the best electricians were all niceic approved contractors. None of this elecsa or napit ********. I often thought that most electricians would love to try and become one but it seems that most people out there just think these scheme are a rip off and choose the cheapest option to me being a approved contractor should be about being the best and most professional you can be. I recently joined this scheme and was massively dismayed at how commercial the Niceic has become. it was easy to get in as long as I paid the money. I was well prepared for the assessment trying to impress.i was all out to show what I was about the assessor I feel didn't scrintise enough but he passed me like I was just another part p Electrical Trainee. am only 28 is this the industry I love on the decline???? What can be done about its breaking my heart!!!!

I fear nothing can be done now, it's too late. Our trade has been diluted so far that we now hear about 'Part P kitchen fitters' and a few months ago I even caught a carpet fitter tinkering with the electrics. Hardly worth being a spark any more. This has been done to absolute death but I'm sure others will comment further...............

I was a fully approved nic eic contractor at the age of 21, the inspector was great! Went thoroughly through all paper work, and 5 jobs. He was impressed with my work and gave me pointers. Have been with them ever since, Tecnichal helpline is great, and my assessments always give me a little kick up the arse to be the best I can be! No problems would recommend the nic. But it's going to be down to the area engineer as with people these days there are good ones and bad.

Got nothing to do with being approved. There are good and bad sparkys, just as there always have been. The only difference now is that people without a clue can go from a desk-job to being told they are the bees knees in a few short weeks.

As stated there are good and bad in most industries....In the fire industry we are covered by BAFE, and/or LPCB. And they are very strict on how we install. Over the years we have partnered with NICIEE elecricians with great success. Recently NICIEE and the security alarm industries such as NSI & NACOSS now want to get involved on certifing their members for fire alarm installations, and this is only over getting more money from its members. As a result, we are seeing alarm fitters installing external security lights, fitting domestic smoke alarms in petrol stations.....It all seems down to how much money you are willing to spend these days, and not what you are skilled in installing

I was a fully approved nic eic contractor at the age of 21, the inspector was great! Went thoroughly through all paper work, and 5 jobs. He was impressed with my work and gave me pointers. Have been with them ever since, Tecnichal helpline is great, and my assessments always give me a little kick up the arse to be the best I can be! No problems would recommend the nic. But it's going to be down to the area engineer as with people these days there are good ones and bad.

You have been well and truly brainwashed haven't you!! Being able to get a fully ''Approved Contractor'' status at the age of 21 tells me something is very wrong, ...but not you it seems!!

I've been brought upto to think that the best electricians were all niceic approved contractors. None of this elecsa or napit ********. I often thought that most electricians would love to try and become one but it seems that most people out there just think these scheme are a rip off and choose the cheapest option to me being a approved contractor should be about being the best and most professional you can be. I recently joined this scheme and was massively dismayed at how commercial the Niceic has become. it was easy to get in as long as I paid the money. I was well prepared for the assessment trying to impress.i was all out to show what I was about the assessor I feel didn't scrintise enough but he passed me like I was just another part p Electrical Trainee. am only 28 is this the industry I love on the decline???? What can be done about its breaking my heart!!!!

The very people you were impressed by, are in actual fact, one of the major causes of the overall decline in this industry!! You have seen with your own eyes it seems, that this NICEIC outfit (like the others) are only interested in the money!! Approved Contractor status, no longer means what it once did, any old Tom Dick or Harry can now apply and more often than not, be accepted!!

The very people you were impressed by, are in actual fact, one of the major causes of the overall decline in this industry!! You have seen with your own eyes it seems, that this NICEIC outfit (like the others) are only interested in the money!! Approved Contractor status, no longer means what it once did, any old Tom Dick or Harry can now apply and more often than not, be accepted!!

I have to disagree to my knowledge the NiCEIC are the only scheme that come and inspect 2 completed jobs, the other schemes let you inform LABC and then sign them of when you pass your assessment that make it easier for people to join, just my opinion

I have to disagree to my knowledge the NiCEIC are the only scheme that come and inspect 2 completed jobs, the other schemes let you inform LABC and then sign them of when you pass your assessment that make it easier for people to join, just my opinion

Never heard that before

Never heard that before
Ring up ask them, I needed to be NICEIC for local authority, they needed 2 completed jobs, I did think of joining One of the other schemes to register and would of been cheaper than the £200 consumer unit change and £390 rewire with LABC and then register with NICEIC it would of been more paperwork to save a few quid

Ring up ask them, I needed to be NICEIC for local authority, they needed 2 completed jobs, I did think of joining One of the other schemes to register and would of been cheaper than the £200 consumer unit change and £390 rewire with LABC and then register with NICEIC it would of been more paperwork to save a few quid

That shouldn't happen any more...

but still does sadly.
local authorities in general are the last to embrace the latest industry practices and legislation.
most of them still want sinks earthed........ ;-)

When looking into which one to join they only wanted one to look at, but never went with em anyway

That shouldn't happen any more...

Doesn't round these parts, as I do work for local council housing

Still think all sparks should have to produce your jib card before anyone gets registered

This old chestnut again

There's a guy I know, a member of this site who wouldn't get anything above labourer off the JIB but I know for a fact he'd leave a lot of people standing scratching their nuts.

What don't you agree with??

Getting registered as an ''Approved Contractor'' was at one time a big deal, and quite a lengthy process, ....it's not now!! A case in point is highlighted above, you would NEVER hear or see of a one man band at the age of 21 ever being registered as an approved contractor!! Just by definition, it would be highly unlikely that he could ever meet, what was then the full criteria to gain that status!!

Reply to approved contractor top dogs???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net