Discuss Approved export meter for BG FIT in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I understand that for a 45kw commercial install we have to include an approved export meter (3 phase). Can anyone confirm what BG consider to be an approved model so we can cost this please? Do they supply or do we?

you have to get an approved meter installer to supply, fit and then maintain the meter at silly costs. It's often not even worth doing - ie it costs most than the customer will receive in export payments, so it can be best just to opt out of export payments entirely.

Above 30kWp means you won't avail of deemed 50% consumption of generation therefore, if the export tariff is to be received, full export metering is required - which can cost a significant amount to manage per year, as Gavin has pointed out. Even with 100% export, a 45kWp system is unlikely to yield enough payback to justify the cost. As to whether it's a case of "have to" measure export, I don't think that's the case as opting out is an option. I didn't think it was compulsory, only if you actually wanted to get the export tariff.

Hence you'll find it's sometimes a significantly better ROI for the client to install 30kW than 45kW if they aren't going to use it all....

Their existing bills suggest they can use most of the generation so I think we will max out the installation and forget the export. I will offer them the option of 30kw but I think 45kw will pay off as they run a lot of equipment all day and plan on expansion.
Thanks for the responses.

Just to add, some time back I had an installation that could have been 50KWP, it was all rather complex with DNO upgrades etc, however if we stayed below 30KWP things were so much easier, even though this customers electrical usage was very low, so most will be exported the sums just did not stack up for an export meter, I went into it in great detail and the customer would have been around £200 worse off per year by having an export meter which really makes no sense at all, but we did have the deemed export of 50%.

Your best option on farm jobs is Western Power Smart Meters - £245 install and £45 per year. I've used on several farm jobs - very efficient and easy to work with. 08457 448900 Option 2 Option3

Now I understand why homesun didn't fit a export meter in my home installation

@puddy, would have been cheaper for domestic - the big costs are the three phase hh metering ones. For domestic, I believe it is read the same as the generation meter. However of course in your case, as you optimise your usage, they are better off with deemed :)

Your best option on farm jobs is Western Power Smart Meters - £245 install and £45 per year. I've used on several farm jobs - very efficient and easy to work with. 08457 448900 Option 2 Option3
Ah, now that is useful information, changes the situation quite a bit... but do they only do that in western power areas?

Useful to know.

But, not obvious why they should charge any ongoing fee. On the commercial RHI, OFGEM let you have a heat meter installed by a competent person and then you read it yourself, send them the readings and the income arrives.

Perhaps I am looking at it the wrong way round and OFGEM will start charging me for reading the meter and sending them the figures!

HH metering has always been charged for as they want to be able to predict loads etc so are looking for usage patterns. Consumers on HH are charged about £200+ per year for the privilege if having their meter read, and even those not on HH for consumption, HH was being required for export... so this seems a good deal. Mind you for a large organisation, having the HH data is incredibly valuable too - they get charged different rates at different times of day, so being able to manage your consumption is important to them.

I have also used wpd to fit and manage export meters and found them very good to work with .which is a refreshing change as metering and tariffs are a dark art/science to sort out.

Ah, now that is useful information, changes the situation quite a bit... but do they only do that in western power areas?
Hi Gavin

No Western Power Smart Meters will install anywhere - the issues you'll have is getting the 155 data flows from the existing supplier as they do not understand the protocols involved but WPSM are very helpful

@puddy, would have been cheaper for domestic - the big costs are the three phase hh metering ones. For domestic, I believe it is read the same as the generation meter. However of course in your case, as you optimise your usage, they are better off with deemed :)

homesun said they were going to fit a export meter but never did. We had the meter changed from eco 7 to a new multi rate for meter Eco10, 2 years ago

homesun generation meter works via mobile phone connection but the signal so poor they have to send a human out to read it

Reply to Approved export meter for BG FIT in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net