Discuss Approved v DI in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'v decided on enrolment with the NIC. I know some of you have discussed this before but was after some recent experiences.

Is is there a good business case for becoming approved? A DI CAN do industrial and Iv not yet met a commercial client who wasn't satisfied with DI. I know some of the government contracts demand Approved but my business plan isnt about pursuing these types of clients.

Has being approved helped your business increase profits? Is it worth the extra fee? Is it worth your extra time and hassle?

Dan

What is the fee difference?
Never considered going DI, approved contractor will surely help identify you differently to the Electrical Trainee that flood the trade.
I think you've answered your own question, no one specifies a DI

no one specifies a DI
I can't help thinking domestic punters do - 'Domestic Installer' seems to paint an image of a friendly man (or woman) who comes round and installs your new cooker then gets his (or her) vacuum cleaner out and gives your house a spring clean, but 'contractors' are like the 'bungling contractors' the Daily Mail keep reporting on who do things like mis-spell 'Bus Stop' when painting road markings, and who put up street lights where they'll be obscured by a tree; they're the ones who wear the dirty boots, and you don't want dirt trampled into the carpet.

Personally I'd go for approved contractor every time - I consider myself better than a glorified van driver.

Thanks for your input...

I understand that amongst our electrical peers having approved status is a way of saying our kahoonahs are bigger than the average DI lad but I wanted to explore the idea as to weather the extra 4 or 500 hundred pounds was worth the cost in a hard nosed business sense.

do you think the average client appreciates the fact you are approved or do you find that you are still competing with the DI lad who at the end of the year has an extra £400 or so in his pocket that he saved on registration?

On a personal note I'm an old school spark (only 34) but did a traditional apprentaship at a technical college and remember the days before this tin pot part p stuff sprang to life. NICEIC approved back then was THE official way to be taken seriously. Along with an ECA membership you were playing at the top of your game. That's what I always wanted. To this day i know wha it takes to get in and have professional respect for those that are approved. I also wanted a pre-charged numatic air rifle as a lad which I went and brought a little while ago because I can but has since spent its time in my cupboard and tbh was a waste of money.

Is getting approved status just something we do to please ourselves that no one in the big bad world out there differentiates between.......

Thanks for your input...

I understand that amongst our electrical peers having approved status is a way of saying our kahoonahs are bigger than the average DI lad but I wanted to explore the idea as to weather the extra 4 or 500 hundred pounds was worth the cost in a hard nosed business sense.

do you think the average client appreciates the fact you are approved or do you find that you are still competing with the DI lad who at the end of the year has an extra £400 or so in his pocket that he saved on registration?

On a personal note I'm an old school spark (only 34) but did a traditional apprentaship at a technical college and remember the days before this tin pot part p stuff sprang to life. NICEIC approved back then was THE official way to be taken seriously. Along with an ECA membership you were playing at the top of your game. That's what I always wanted. To this day i know wha it takes to get in and have professional respect for those that are approved. I also wanted a pre-charged numatic air rifle as a lad which I went and brought a little while ago because I can but has since spent its time in my cupboard and tbh was a waste of money.

Is getting approved status just something we do to please ourselves that no one in the big bad world out there differentiates between.......

A friend of mine, who's been in the trade for years, lately applied for DI status with the NICEIC. He was assessed by a self employed jerk, on contract, who was more interested in talking about himself. He felt he was demeaning himself applying for such a title and told the bloke to 'stick it', at considerable cost to himself.
Personally, your final paragraph doesn't come into question, having been 'in' for 25 years, much of the time when it was valued...but if I was in your shoes, as with my pal, I would resent being 'termed' a DI, just for the sake of signing off a few certificates.
I can't understand why you feel it would cost an extra £400/£500, for approved status, though....unless that is initial cost.

It isn"t worth the cost difference really is it, the company im working for have DI and always have done, all employees time served approved sparks including directors.

Never have a problem with business, if anything we have too much work !

and in all honesty customers do not have a clue what they are looking for/at, all they see is NICEIC, so once you got a job if you do it right and good along with a fair price you will be called back regardless whether or not your approved or DI

Oh and im pretty sure approved it more intensive on inspections, i reckon the extra cash for membership is used to pay the overpaid inspector to sit and drink tea and scrutinise your work

Reply to Approved v DI in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net