Discuss Are Wholesalers eating into your margins? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mamba

I am the only one but times are difficult out there and it is now compounded but inefficient and incompetent wholesalers who don't really give a dam. I have recently been given the run around as firstly they do not have the stock item on the shelf [Simple Ashley down lighter J/B's and LED GU10's] promised next day items will be in, and I was to get a call as soon as they arrive. Yep you got it no phone call so I put the call through as now job at a stand still, only to be told lamps are in JB's will be next day. Ok so will collect the lamps and get around and use alternative for JB's get there wrong colour lamps. Client wants Cool White and Warm White arrived even though it clearly said Cool White on Advise Note. Now simple job is behind - was told yesterday it will be on first delivery by 8.30am today will call ...again no call so again I have just put call through - oh it has not come in will now be on midday delivery, will call you ... not holding my breath So hence time to sit have a cuppa and write this gripe. Client who I am doing a first job for is not a happy camper as it looks bad reflection on me even after all the explanation's. So because of wholesaler with no accountability has cost me money in running around down time etc and possibly a customer as well. Change Wholesalers I hear you say I have 6 of the big ones within a 4 mile radius and they are all as shockingly bad as each other. Any Wholesalers reading this Get It together chaps this is not acceptable or Screwfix and B&Q Trade Point here I come.

i work on the basis that if a supplier doesnt have exactly what i need there and then im out the door and try elsewhere.
show no loyalty in business , its rarely returned.

Sad to say you are not alone in the experience you describe. Of course there are still some good guys behind the counter, but many are terrible.

Contrast your experience with one I had at an architectural ironmonger wholesaler (I indavertently pulled the handle off a client's window and have had to change the espang lock!). Bright and welcoming, very knowledgeable and helpful staff, offered me a trade price though I've never used 'em before (I did explain my predicament).

Cant understand why the large electrical wholesalers allow the crap service, especially given the state of the economy where everyone is struggling for sales.

You half joke about Screwfix etc, but my experience of the local Electrifix branches has been very positive!

Regards.

One of the more frustrating ones I have had was a job 30 miles away. We got there to realise that half our downlights were brushed chrome and half were polished chrome.
I always try to check what comes over the counter now.
To be fair to that wholesaler, they did send a van out that day with the right bits.

I am the only one but times are difficult out there and it is now compounded but inefficient and incompetent wholesalers who don't really give a dam. I have recently been given the run around as firstly they do not have the stock item on the shelf [Simple Ashley down lighter J/B's and LED GU10's] promised next day items will be in, and I was to get a call as soon as they arrive. Yep you got it no phone call so I put the call through as now job at a stand still, only to be told lamps are in JB's will be next day. Ok so will collect the lamps and get around and use alternative for JB's get there wrong colour lamps. Client wants Cool White and Warm White arrived even though it clearly said Cool White on Advise Note. Now simple job is behind - was told yesterday it will be on first delivery by 8.30am today will call ...again no call so again I have just put call through - oh it has not come in will now be on midday delivery, will call you ... not holding my breath So hence time to sit have a cuppa and write this gripe. Client who I am doing a first job for is not a happy camper as it looks bad reflection on me even after all the explanation's. So because of wholesaler with no accountability has cost me money in running around down time etc and possibly a customer as well. Change Wholesalers I hear you say I have 6 of the big ones within a 4 mile radius and they are all as shockingly bad as each other. Any Wholesalers reading this Get It together chaps this is not acceptable or Screwfix and B&Q Trade Point here I come.

Moral of the story, plan ahead, place orders before you need the parts and don't let your wholesalers ruin your business.

Show them the door, then. I know it's nice to go and have a chat and a coffee, blah blah blah, but there are online firms out there that get it to you cheaper, and next day on time, that are every bit as helpful on the phone. I only ever use my local wholesalers now for 'emergency' runs anything else and I'm thinking 24 hours ahead anyway! The only downside is on occasions getting sucked into the deals and offers and buying 50 of something to use up eventually!!

Ive got a greT wholesaler, prices v. Keen mostly & drops off at my gaff twice a day

(Wilts, wolverhampton)

Going to buy a bike this month? ;)

My wholesaler is ok, got most stuff in stock and if not gets it the next day, but i'm finding myself bulk ordering stuff i use most from online places now and putting it on the shelf, its cheaper and more convenient

I agree, but both suck the thing I prefer is the set price cant stand the wholesaler policy of charge what they think they can get away with

On speaking to our wholesale manager last week, and he was explaining after the amount of losses they have had, through bankrupties over the past few years, how hard it was to keep stock. he furthur expalin that in the home counties all the major wholesellers have stocked together to allow them to order in bulk at better discounts.

I've just opened an account with another wholesaler, as the 2 i use regular are becoming more and more unreliable. This one says if i pay the balance within a month i get 2.5% knocked off - doesn't sound alot, but when some orders go into the late hundreds then it sounds good - just wonder how long it'll last, my guess is until i become a regular then it'll be out the window.

Wilsons I mentioned are very good well stocked and will always do deals to be cheaper, the guys behind the counter know their stock, and if they dont have the part they will usually get it next day. If we request parts on a regular basis, keep them in stock for us. After 7 years i can say I am pleased with my electrical supplier

When ordering we / our lads only ever talk to our own dedicated rep (or the manager if it a wholesaler that we do not tend to use ), that way one person is then accountable if things go wrong and they loose our trade , this tends to help i think !?

Reply to Are Wholesalers eating into your margins? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net