Discuss Bad customer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On the initial walk around i now record the conversation with the customer regarding requirements and positions if no official plans exist i explain its for pricing and ensuring i don't get everything exactly as requested, any alterations or deviations from the initial agreement is written down and forwarded in a polite acknowledgement letter of a change in the original agreement ... its come in handy twice with awkward customers who deny they said things... last one who tried to pull a fast one was given a copy of the original conversation on a usb stick and i said i all for the customer is right but when you accuse me of been a liar then thats a personal attack, i said the changes that you want will be extra now and add additional costs to the job but had you approached me in a different way i would have shown my good customer relationship nature and done it for nothing on the scale of things....

After that i never had anymore issues and even a full apology the next day.... i said no harm done and always approachable if you have a change of plan or need to ask questions... the job went smoothly from there forward ;)... Old people can be the worst as they forget alot and will argue as if their sanity relied on it.

expandy foam in drains, keyholes, extractor fans.

you think too small lol.

in these situations i tend to operate outside the law to recover payment so we'll say no more.

but if a restaurant owner stitched me up over a job , i'd probably book a meal for 6 over the phone , turn up on saturday nite with a party of the skinhead football hooigan types , enjoy a big slap up meal which we would have no intention of paying for , then proceede to walk out with any fixtures and fittings not bolted down in full view of all the other customers.

im sure a cheque would appear much quicker than the police would.
sounds harsh and completely ilegal , but its the only language some people understand.

;-)

Dirty *******s!

I would still be billing for the work done or telling them you will be removing the stuff if the haven't paid.

During my apprenticeship, I help out an old tradesman do a full re-wire. The typical started, because we were the sparks, anything that went wrong was our fault! Long story short, all the walls were plastered and wall papered, paid everyone else but wouldn't pay us as we were too slow and holding others back. So when they were not willing to pay for the work done, tradesman reply was "cool".

Guys, I have never seen anything like it, he took the faceplates off, smashed the wall with his hammer till he got the cables and pulled them right out the walls. Least to say, the raggles were nice and straight. But it sure taught them.

Do these people forget that we to having a living to make, and that we are not all con-artists?

in these situations i tend to operate outside the law to recover payment so we'll say no more.

Totally agree with you. I've only ever been shafted, or at least smelt the whiff of being shafted twice and both times I got my money without ever having to contact a debt collection agency. The powers that be may call refusal to pay your debts a civil offence but in certain cases (like someone taking you on to carry out work for them without the intention [that is the key word here] of ever paying) I call it outright criminal, hence why I'm all to happy to respond in kind!

there hoping you will walk away - dont
list all the unfinished items and why their not finished
offer to go and complete in there time frame
all the above in writing by registered post
if you can not come to an amicable agreement take them to court

I managed to pre-empt a non payment on a job a few years ago. My boss had an idea the customer would try to get out of making the final payment on a welding machine we had built so I put a simple timer into the PLC program that would stop the machine a week after the final payment was due. Customer fails to pay then phones up to tell us machine has stopped and we need to fix it. Went on site with my boss and when he had the cheque in his hand I took the timer out of the program :D

I managed to pre-empt a non payment on a job a few years ago. My boss had an idea the customer would try to get out of making the final payment on a welding machine we had built so I put a simple timer into the PLC program that would stop the machine a week after the final payment was due. Customer fails to pay then phones up to tell us machine has stopped and we need to fix it. Went on site with my boss and when he had the cheque in his hand I took the timer out of the program :D

Genius! I wish all customers would give rise to such pre-emptive ability haha.

just wondering who,s gonna sign the work off for them if you don't go back.hit them with that one.

that's a point. make sure LABC are informed. then squirt expanding foam in their downspouts. when it rains heavy it'll be so much fun.

there hoping you will walk away - dont
list all the unfinished items and why their not finished
offer to go and complete in there time frame
all the above in writing by registered post
if you can not come to an amicable agreement take them to court

I've written a letter listing all their complaints and moaning and reasons why its nonesense, and included an invoice for the outstanding amount for works completed so far.

I've also said they should contact me to arrange for us to return and complete the job on a day that suits them, but stated that if they want us to finish the job we want the final amount within 24 hours of completion.
I'll be at the post office with it at 9AM tomorrow when it opens for recorded delivery.

I really don't know how to be more reasonable, what else could I do!

Ive just had my first bad customer.

Awful experience. Solicitors involved to retrieve money im just skeptical signing a contract to say if my insurance decide not to pay I am agreeing too.

Can someone come be my heavyhand????

I fully agree that 'customer managed contracts' should be avoided.

My only hapoy thought is that the job can't be signed off. The electrician finishing the work is with my part pee scheme too, and my insurers are also my part pee providers. (I pre warned the new electrician so if he signs it off hes an idiot)

I have never been so hurt by a customer before...was soul destroying

Enthralling read peeps! I have led a sheltered life it seems! Been employed by the same employer for 34 years has seen to that, which has it's advantages it seems!
I don't know what I'd do if it was to happen to me though as I'd hate to be conned/cheated!

We've got two on the go at the moment, one disputes the cost of labour for a job despite it being agreed by him beforehand and another who says he doesn't pay VAT 'cos the work is in a listed building but has no legal proof of this. Or at least cannot supply us with a copy.

There are some real sheisters out there and it seems to be the ones who have more than enough money already without ripping off the little guy.

Ive just had my first bad customer.

Awful experience. Solicitors involved to retrieve money im just skeptical signing a contract to say if my insurance decide not to pay I am agreeing too.

Can someone come be my heavyhand????

I fully agree that 'customer managed contracts' should be avoided.

My only happy thought is that the job can't be signed off. The electrician finishing the work is with my part pee scheme too, and my insurers are also my part pee providers. (I pre warned the new electrician so if he signs it off hes an idiot)

I have never been so hurt by a customer before...was soul destroying
Remember they are the bad customer, not you the bad electrician, just know that you have done a good job and what they think and say is irrelevant, remember they are bad!
There will always be people like this and you can be just unlucky to interact with them, but once gone they are gone.

Looks like I'm just in for a battle as well - customer owing nearly four times the original estimate on labour due to delays and poor management on their part. Good job I spec'd it was day rate right from the start!

Reply to Bad customer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net