Discuss Bank Holibob Monday. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi - he's a happy young boy, fed, watered, bathed, warm and rested ( I should start a spa ! ) And still with me. I couldn't get chip-reader-guy yesterday. There's only 2 of us in the postcode so I knew Spot had either 'been left' or had walked a long way. He was exhausted when spotted, and I had to pick him up and carry him the last 100yds up to the house. A check in the next village yesterday afternoon didn't turn up anyone missing a dog, so I'm planning on waiting for chip-guy today. Spot seems to be Weimaraner/Lurcher cross I think and these are bred by some for their hunting skills. Poor boy has in the past had a severe injury to near side rear leg / hip and so can't run but can walk. So he'd be no good for hunting and I'm guessing there won't be a chip (small smile appearing) Cheers, David

image.jpeg

Aw he's beautiful! If you take him to a vets they can scan him too. Keep us all posted, he looks grateful. It's fate!

David I can Tell you have taken to him already i hope everything works out, It's amazing how quick we take to these animals. But equally it amazes me how people can treat them so badly, for me anyone found mistreating a dog should be banned for life and serve time for it.
I was reading a post on faceache the other day and it named a country where the above is enforced, the country escapes me at the minute.

Is it China where they have that awful dog eating festival? The conditions are barbaric.

Hi - thanks for your kind words and support. Yes mistreatment of animals just does my head in too. I'm still waiting on chip-person to contact. On line Council says 4 hr response time, but I guess they didn't say which 4 hours. If he's not chipped I'm going to ask for him. I was told the local Council will take unchipped dogs to some pound (visions of a WW2 concentration camp comes to mind, hope I'm wrong) where if no one claims them in a week or if the local dog charity can't take them, then they get put down. Well that won't be happening, oh no :)

Oh thats awful!! I am so glad that you found him, I am sure he will have a happy home with you guys! Fingers crossed!

Right I had better get on with some actual work!!!

That's true , Re the 7 day put down policy and I think there are a couple of well known organisations that implement it, one which may suprise some people.
I think you should have him as your Avatar for now and it may bring you both a bit of luck ( I'm soppy like that )

That's true , Re the 7 day put down policy and I think there are a couple of well known organisations that implement it, one which may suprise some people.
I think you should have him as your Avatar for now and it may bring you both a bit of luck ( I'm soppy like that )
Rspca?

@ wilko, if he's chipped, you'l need to consider giving him back. if not, the i'm sure he'll have a fantastic home with you. good luck, whichever way it goes.

Hi All - still got my Spot :)
Spot continues to recover and is more dog-like today, sniffing the air and following scents around the yard, and then taking a quick nap. I've given up on Council's chip-guy (4 hour response time now 48+). So I rang Vet and she made a spot for Spot this morn. She couldn't find a chip ... Just as well because he's vomited in my truck on the way up and then again on the way back so he's as good as part of the family now :) . Heres a pic of the boy relaxing just now .

image.jpeg

That's great he looks so stress free. I bet he will be resting a while. Did the vet say how old he might be or anything about him? I'm pleased you are keeping him! Woof!

Thanks ! Yes, she estimates 12-14 weeks. He's likely to be a big chap fully grown. Good thing there's plenty of space here :)

Is that all?! I thought he was older than that. I wonder if he's escaped from a farm or something? What sort of breed did she think he is

Vet didnt speculate other than to mutter 'hunting dog' and give me a dog trainer leaflet. From my on line lookups I reckon he's part Weimaraner part Lurcher. They tend to interbreed these as they have v good long distance vision, are tall and run like the wind, basically bred for hunting. So not good news for the cat then. I'll just have work on that one.

I wouldn't worry. We have 3 cats and one is best friends with chance the other comes and goes and the third stays out of the way. They will be fine I'm sure. Such a lovely story though, many would have done nothing for spot. He's got a spoiled life to look forward to now not an awful one!

Hi All - still got my Spot :)
Spot continues to recover and is more dog-like today, sniffing the air and following scents around the yard, and then taking a quick nap. I've given up on Council's chip-guy (4 hour response time now 48+). So I rang Vet and she made a spot for Spot this morn. She couldn't find a chip ... Just as well because he's vomited in my truck on the way up and then again on the way back so he's as good as part of the family now :) . Heres a pic of the boy relaxing just now .

View attachment 33282
That's bloody awesome news!!!

Pleased for you.

That's bloody young too!

I love dogs, (especially the one in Darkwood's avatar ;) ) but I'm always wary of adopting strays and abused dogs. I know it sounds harsh but I've seen several adopted dogs that were permanently damaged by previous abuse and they were unpredictable and skittish and in one case downright dangerous.

looking at that photo I suspect part Weimaraner part lurcher and part jar jar binks - it's the ears!

Reply to Bank Holibob Monday. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net