Discuss Bathroom Electrics in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markyrp

Hi All,
Just looking for some advice with respect to Bathroom Electrics.
I am going to be installing a new bathroom suite with the addition of a mixer shower with a fixed head above the bath.
The house was built in 2006 and currently has an external 2 gang switch so the lighting and extractor fan are operated independently. There is no isolator and the circuits are not RCD protected.
I intend fitting some mains voltage LED downlighters with integrated drivers and also replace the extractor. 1 of the downlighters will be above the bath.
The downlighters are IP65 and the ceiling height is approx 2.4m. My question really is whether or not I would have to provide RCD protection following the alteration to the lighting cct. Also would I have to fit an isolator. As it is not a new cct I was just hoping for some clarification.
Many thanks.

An rcd covering all the circuits in a bathroom is recommended

Easiest way to do it if you have space on the RCD side.
Careful of nuisance tripping of all upstairs power, but you may have no other option.
Alternatively you could if the parts are available replace the MCB with an RCBO.
However this would need full testing of the circuit to ensure regulatory compliance.

Thanks Richard,
I will open up the CU to see how much cable I have and see if there is sufficient to move the MCB.
Might have to go down the RCBO route. If so might as well do the downstairs lighting as well.

Reply to Bathroom Electrics in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

For the bathroom, want them matching and one needs to go over the shower. Also need to be ok with insulation over the top. Ideally fit in the...
Replies
Views
I put some news lights in a bathroom and new extractor fan. Did the tests and filled out form. A couple of days later another electrician came in...
Replies
Views
I have 16 ceiling spots to be replaced in a room being repurposed as a bathroom. Some will be over a shower, basin and bath hence need to be IP65...
Replies
Views
Hi, my niece lives in a flat and has a bathroom without a window. There is an extractor fan which packed up and an electrician installed a new one...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a property built in 1911. It has had asbestos artex applied to every ceiling in the house. I am currently creating a new...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock