Discuss Best GU10 LED bulbs? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Those Robus ones are not that good - they use the older style cluster LED. The newest type LED bulbs use SMD chips and I have even heard about COB chips which are like large orange blobs that emit the light. COB stands for Chip on Board. I have put the Robus up against a LightRabbit GU10 SMD and COBs and the LightRabbit lamp looks much better. I just think that the Robus lamps are way behind the times.

Those Robus ones are not that good - they use the older style cluster LED. The newest type LED bulbs use SMD chips and I have even heard about COB chips which are like large orange blobs that emit the light. COB stands for Chip on Board. I have put the Robus up against a LightRabbit GU10 SMD and COBs and the LightRabbit lamp looks much better. I just think that the Robus lamps are way behind the times.

Following on from the OP, and if you are right that SMD type LED bulbs are best, who makes / sells them in the household W range of 4W to 7W?

following the topic... can you recommend some tested dimmer/led combinations?
used ledlite ane trailing edge before, this time got 4 bedroom rewire and client want all them lights to be spots :eek:
looking for some more affordable alternative.

Take a look at our site, we fit these in Southampton airport and they come with a 5 year warranty. They are made from aluminium too, not the cheap plastic rubbish.
Whatever you go for, pay attention to the heat dissipation. That’s what’ll make them last. Also if you can find out which LED chip they are using, go for something with Cree, epistar or bridgelux chips.
Also beam angles are important, LED gu10s come with different angles, anything from 60 degrees to 120 degrees is common. The angle you want really depends on the situation they’ll be used in. I prefer wider angles in open rooms, but narrow areas like hallways and thin bathrooms often benefit from the narrow beam angles.

On the advice of someone else on this forum, I tried out the following :-

Megaman 4.5W LED GU10 Bulb Warm White | LEDBulbs.co.uk

They are the megaman brand 4.5w, and I found them to be absolutely superb.
They claim to be equivalent to a 40w lamp, but I would say they are equally as bright as a 50w halogen, when fitted you can barely see the difference, and they are very reasonably priced too at £7.39 each.
I can't comment on the life of them yet, but they do come with a 5 year guarantee, and they are definitely what I will be using and recommending to clients from now on.

Hey everyone, just wondering what everyone thinks the best LED GU10 bulb is. Factors include: lux, spread, cost, lifespan, colour and size. Also which make of bulb is most equivalent to the 50watt halogen bulb including all the above factors.

I have noticed a lot of cheap imports that probably don't meet standards
More LEDS per bulb do NOT make it better - they are usually the rejects and you cannot get colour consistency ie 54 LEDS etc is nonsense - the light cannot be focussed into a spotlight instead they have clear glass! the light output is all over the place,the better bulbs have 6 to 1 LED ie high output and a lenses for a good cone shape output.

Tested a few leds started with low voltage (you must use a transformer supply or a dedicated driver as electronic balasts will overdrive the bulb and it will fail) mr16 clusters = crap output poor and dont last long

The gu10 cluster version from wingpanpong were the same.

Tried the 3w (3 x1w bulbs) in cool white 4000k mr16 have 9 of these in my bathroom and have been going 3 years now light output about 15w halogen but seem brighter as halogens are a warmer colour

Tried 4w (4 x1w bulbs) in warm white 2700k mr16 light output was similar in colour to halogens and =20w these are still working after 2 years

Just got some 7w gu10s 6000k by megaman been fitted 2 week now light output is clinically white her indoors loves the light (about time I did something right:6:) had one pop 7 days after fitting hope this is an isolated issue. also no glass over the reflector

not tried the smd version as it looks naff

The first electric light was credited to Thomas Edison the inventor of the first electric light BULB Before that we had oil Lamps. Cables or wires ? do we refer to a wiring diagram or a cable diagram I ask. :laugh:

The first electric light was credited to Thomas Edison the inventor of the first electric light BULB Before that we had oil Lamps. Cables or wires ? do we refer to a wiring diagram or a cable diagram I ask. :laugh:

So the kitchen fitters were right all along

Reply to Best GU10 LED bulbs? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net