Discuss Best Hole Saws For Cutting Stainless Steel in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jody05

Hi guys,

Quick question, I am looking for a hole saw that will will cut stainless steel again and again? For example, don't want to cut it once and not be able to use the hole saw again?

Also, how much do these types of hole saws tend to cost?

Not cut a lot of stainless in the past but take your time and use plenty of lube, that sounds so wrong... :lol:

If possible use a pillar drill on it's slowest setting, easier to control the cut with one hand and lube with the other.

Use a well known brand like st arr ett or bo sc h, buy proper cutting fluid, go real slow so you can actually see the cutter going round. As soon as it spins fast you might as well throw the cutter in the bin, as strima says take your time.

Got caught out on a job in hotel kitchen guy's screaming for S/S holecutters, they got a set of cutters from wicks ( which I thought would be crap ) as it turned out they did the job - and more some and there still on the van!( but used ooooooodles of cutting oil )

Most hole cutters work okay on S/S if you use a low speed (cordless drills are ideal) and some oil. If you're needing hundreds or thousands of holes then look at a small hand operated hydraulic hole punch.

What size hole and what size metal are you drilling?

20mm hole in 3mm steal I've used Starrett before with good results.

Just to add humour to the conversation:-

When doing a hole in the manner and position that your recipient requires you must use the correct method, size, speed and not forgetting lube. Place your end carefully at the point where you need to penetrate and push gently at first and build up the pressure until your end (of the drill bit) and the hole become warm. At this time please use lube to reduce friction burn for the hole and to stop the blunting of your end.

Now that your going hell for leather to do the hole, remember to slow down towards the end. You can only drill as deep as your bit. Now that your near penetration and your fulfillment of your first intention of doing this hole, reduce the amount of force and carefully pop through the other side. Now stop all engines/motors and withdraw your bit, job is done, hole is done you can now sit back and believe that you are a hole drilling expert.

If anyone thinks I'm talking about intercourse your sadly mistaken and you've got a dirty mind.

But before you go to sleep don't forget to cuddle up for a minimum of 2 minutes, that's a girly rule so I've heard. I'm talking about the DeWalt cordless of course!

You have got a dirty mind ;););)

Best description of 'drilling' I've heard in a long time... :lol:

Reply to Best Hole Saws For Cutting Stainless Steel in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net