Discuss Big brother strikes again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest111

Heartd a blinder last night,a friend of mine owns a yard with a couple of buildings on it on a large industrial estate in Liverpool.Well last week he gets a visit from somebody from the council who was checking on sites in the area,She spots an armoured cable suspended between 2 buildings on a catenary cable,attached to this is a water pipe,now this cable is redundant and chopped off at both ends outside the building,It's been like that for years in fact the only reason it hasn't been removed is the fact that the catenary also carries the water pipe.She's adamant that the cable is live even though you can clearly see it's been cut and the lower sections have been removed completely.To prove a point he gets hold of the end,she has a hissy fit and insists he gets a certificate to prove it's dead.Now this is where it gets rather interesting,he knows several other electricians besides me however she insists that the council will only accept a certificate from an NI registered electrician.Upshot is he has to pay £150 for a piece of paper to say that the cable is dead!Then she spits her dummy out as he won't let her take the original cert "to keep on our files".I've told him that what she did was wrong and that any competant electrician can issue a cert but apparently she was threatening to go over his premises with a fine tooth comb if he didn't comply.

yeah shes one of them " i know nothing about your job but my book says your doing it wrong ".. trying to make work for themselved.. jobsworth **removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask this daft woman inspector, to put her concerns in writing on official council headed paper!! You can then take her to the cleaners!! As davesparks say's, a simple photograph showing both cut off ends will make her the laughing stock in the office. Any subsequent harassment by this official can then be documented against her....

And.....more's the point....she has (most probably got) zero grounds, authority or scope to make threats about inspecting premises! I'd be getting an official complaint off straight away and sending the council a bill for what it's cost him.

Noidea1_zps7ebb8c0f.jpg

I said exactly what you guy's have said,he owns the yard and yes while I can understand her initial concerns over seeing a cable,once she was shown it was cut at both ends that should have been it,I think she's just trying to make a name for herself,if it had been me I'd have told her to take a running jump,I think he felt intimidated by her saying she'd go over it with a fine toothed comb.Lets be honest that sort of person can always "find" something wrong if they want to,I think I'll be advising him to put in a complaint to her bosses and see what happens.

Reply to Big brother strikes again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net