Discuss Bizarre Issue with Chandelier Bulbs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I purchased a chandelier from Aliexpress (China) that came with bi pin G9 LED bulbs (3W equivalent) (pic attached). I asked the seller if this was dimmable and he said NO the bulbs are not dimmable. Apparently China uses cheap non-dimmable bulbs. But the seller told me I could purchase dimmable G9 bulbs and pair them with a dimmer switch and it would work. When I use the bulbs the factory sent me and hook it up to a normal switch (no dimmer), the chandelier works fine. When I replace those bulbs with dimmable G9s, I hear a loud pop and the light doesnt work. I have not tried hooking it up to a dimmer yet, but what is going on?? Is the pop because I am not using a dimmer with the G9 bulbs? Should that matter? Anyone have a clue and how I might solve my problem to use dimmable G9s with a Lutron dimmer. If so, what Lutron dimmer should I use? Meastro or Diva or something else that can handle the low output of the LEDs when dimmed? Update, I ordered a different G9 dimmable bulb (dimmable) and with a regular switch it came on (no pop) but at a very very faint level. Will this change if I add a Lutron dimmer? Thanks.

Attachments

• 822e692a-4a40-48d1-ba47-1ddd6b6a141b_822e692a-4a40-48d1-ba47-1ddd6b6a141b.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
Maybe the chandelier has been made to accommodate g4 bulbs, and been fitted with 240V g4's!🤔, eg (these are 5W not 3W):
in which case, is the chandelier safe to use? I suppose 4mm pin spacing is OK?
if so it may be difficult to obtain dimmable bulbs for it!

Edit - these mains G4's are available in UK on Amazon I see (but all un-dimmable)

Last edited:
Maybe the chandelier has been made to accommodate g4 bulbs, and been fitted with 240V g4's!🤔, eg (these are 5W not 3W):

Edit - these mains G4's are available in UK on Amazon I see (but all un-dimmable)
I tried the bulbs below and they caused the loud pop I described. There is no transformer on this chandelier. Just wires for each arm with connects to two bulbs.

Sounds live you've put mains onto a 12v fitting, check if there is a integrated transformer in the base
There is no transformer. Just wires from each arm on the chandelier which I have bound all together and hooked up to the main. These G4's from China work directly with mains, no transformer. Yet other G4 bulbs I buy which are dimmable do not work. They create a loud pop and the dimmer gets fried.

Are you using the correct voltage G9 lamps?
How do I know what the correct voltage is? I asked the Chinese factory they said they bulbs are 3W equivalents. They hook up directly to the mains. No transformer. They work fine. When I put in dimmable G4 they create a loud pop and if I have a dimmer attached it gets fried but the chandelier is fine, I can refit the original bulbs from China and it works fine. But I have to put on a regular plain switch, no dimmer.

How do I know what the correct voltage is? I asked the Chinese factory they said they bulbs are 3W equivalents. They hook up directly to the mains. No transformer. They work fine. When I put in dimmable G4 they create a loud pop and if I have a dimmer attached it gets fried but the chandelier is fine, I can refit the original bulbs from China and it works fine. But I have to put on a regular plain switch, no dimmer.

As far as I know G4 lampholders are only rated for use up to 24V and must not be directly connected to mains voltage.

Can you post pictures of the lamps and the lampholders in the chandeliers?

You've mentioned both G4 and G9 lamps in this thread which is a little confusing

The OP isn't in the UK, they are in the USA.

There is no transformer. This is main to G4 LED.

The issue of voltage has been raised several times, but you haven't yet addressed the questions posed.

Can you confirm if the G4 lamps that made a pop are indeed rated for mains voltage? As other respondents have pointed out, it's seems as though this is the issue.

Amazon sell dimable G4 lamps rated for mains voltage, but I make no recommendations and wouldn't want them in my own home. If these lamps are suited to your application, matching them with a dimmer may be another issue that doesn't easily resolve itself.

Reply to Bizarre Issue with Chandelier Bulbs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net