Discuss Bonding question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jabbajaws

Hi All,

My friend is having his house rewired and ive noticed that the gas meter and main water supply are adjacent to each other.

My question is (under the regs) do they have to have their own bonding conductors or can they be cross bonded, sharing the same bonding conductor back to the MET?

Thanks JJ... :yinyang:

By continuous do you mean without being terminated at all?

Ive seen this done before, where the outer insulation has been removed with no break in the conductor. Is that what you mean. Andrew?

correct. the idea is that if wet-pants comes along and disconnects 1 bond, the other bond will stilll be intact.

A good idea, however The tails are 25mm sq and im sure the regs say that 10mm sq bonding has to be used for main equipotential bonding. Can you crimp 10mm bonding?

google non-insulated crimp tool. for the bigger sizes, hydraulic tools are used, but you can get hand crimp tools up to 50mm , no problem.

If you get a good earth clamp you should be able to strip a section the sleeving and rap it around the first earth clamp and then terminate it at the second

as murdoch said. it's not a reg. it's just best practice.

if they are in the same place, or even close i always use one continuous 10mm. much to the annoyance of an old electrician i work with who would install 2 even it it were a 20m run round the house in conduit and the gas and water were within 2 foot of each other, likes using up cable i think!

Reply to Bonding question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net