Discuss Bosch Professional or Makita in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

No one an fan of Milwakee on here ?

I see loads of the kitchen fitters on site using Milwakee

I used to have the none Fuel range by Milwaukee. It was okay. The SDS was a bit on the heavy side. The fuel stuff is good buy very expensive. I would probably go with Hilti if I had the money.

I used to have the none Fuel range by Milwaukee. It was okay. The SDS was a bit on the heavy side. The fuel stuff is good buy very expensive. I would probably go with Hilti if I had the money.
Hilti is no better than any other brand it just gets its reputation from being expensive. DeWalt is usually winner in tests but in the real world makita, dewalt, milwaukee, no difference. Pick your poison.

Hilti is no better than any other brand it just gets its reputation from being expensive. DeWalt is usually winner in tests but in the real world makita, dewalt, milwaukee, no difference. Pick your poison.

I’ve tried Dewalt. Everyone in our work uses it. I’ve never tried Makita but it’s supposed to be excellent.

I’ve tried Dewalt. Everyone in our work uses it. I’ve never tried Makita but it’s supposed to be excellent.

You get what you pay for with Makita.

£40 buys you a cheap combi that's fine for occasioinal use and £130 buys you a robust, wrist breaking combi. They tend to make a number of versions for each common tool and low end stuff is best avoided by trades.

You get what you pay for with Makita.

£40 buys you a cheap combi that's fine for occasioinal use and £130 buys you a robust, wrist breaking combi. They tend to make a number of versions for each common tool and low end stuff is best avoided by trades.

I think that’s true of most brands. It is true you get what you pay for. I’m going to have a look at the Erbauer and see what it’s like. I do like the look of Makita.

I think that’s true of most brands.

It is, but Makita take it to extremes with too many choices of popular tools and regular new versions. I can't fault the brand, having used their cordless tools for around 15 years, but if I could make one change it would be a reduction in the number of variations. Basic, average and good would be enough.

Edit: Just looked at Muilwaukee site and they now seem to be just as bad in making too many options.

I can't really comment on Erbauer tools. I've used a few and they seemed fine, but it's not as though I see them on sites everyday to get first hand opinions. Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita are out there in significant numbers and, while people might have a preference, there's not much between them in terms of reliability and performance at the better end of each respective range.

Last edited:
The batteries on the makitas are cack. I charge my 5.0ah dewalt batteries every 3-4 weeks with heavy daily use
makita seem to getting worse by the hour ... Dewalt 18v SDS .I love mine .Its light, great anti vibration and with a 4.amp battery and good Bosch Blue nits flies through bricks etc

The batteries on the makitas are cack. I charge my 5.0ah dewalt batteries every 3-4 weeks with heavy daily use

My experience of Makita batteries is very different and I've never had cause to complain about their lxt range.

Weeks do go by without charging batteries, but not with heavy daily use. I might look into buying dewalt tools if they can manage to eek weeks out of 5Ah in grinders and sds drills.

A colleague uses dewalt and swears by their tools, but complains bitterly about batteries. He hogs site supplies with three chargers in constant use. No idea if it's bad luck, user error or faulty chargers, but other guys with NiMH Panasonic gear get more runtime out of their antique batteries.

On the other hand joiners love dewalt and they're probably using more battery power than any other trade.

Maybe OP should look at Hikoki and completely avoid arguments about popular brands 😁

Last post got me thinking about battery tests and I know plenty of info is available online about individual 18650 cells, with discharge curves available for just about every cell under load, but it seems as though test data is in short supply for power tool battery packs.

I did find the below video which put Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita batteries through thorough, if unscientific, testing and results favor Dewalt, although all three brands are within spitting distance of each other, with high quality cells being used within each.

Leaves many questions unanswered, but well worth watching.

DeWalt used to have A123 batteries (18650) in the packs, but that stopped some time ago, I used to buy up the packs and break them apart as the cells where near £8.00 each at the time, it was not for use in drills, but made a lot of difference for the discharge rate on a gas turbine start up.

There was a guy in the UK, I believe he was "eastern bloc" and he would rebuild any battery using the best cells possible and he was not very expensive .Mate had his done and the difference was night and day .

I did find this from Screwfix:

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/dewal...ushless-cordless-4-piece-power-tool-kit/2013p
Cheaper at Toolstation right now, and 5% off that price if you have a Trade Account.

Edit - not same kit, sorry! But keep an eye on TS and Screwfix and occasionally they sell Dewalt and others for silly money.

Tim

I have the DeWalt kit, but find the 4.0Ah batteries are too heavy, much better with the 2Ah batteries and they last sufficiently to do a full day of the work I do.

City’s have theses two:

I’ve also seen a small Makita SDS:

Top Spec Combi:

It’s not too bad when considering it’s 10% off over all and 4x 5.0ah batteries. I’m looking at the Erbauer with him tomorrow to see what he thinks.

Last edited:
A point to ponder - do you want a 3 mode SDS or is 2 mode fine? It seems to be quite a lot more for the chisel (rotary stop) function on a battery SDS.
Personally for 95% of what I do my 2 mode is great, and if I need to chisel I get the mains one out.

I have always been a bit of a tool obsessive, I really like quality tools and do believe in buying right, and buying once. I've seen cheaper drills burn out on heavier duty tasks, joist drilling or particularly large hole saws, as well as snapped handles, and broken chucks.

I have had my makita 3 speed combi, impact and SDS since near the start of my apprenticeship, the combi is approaching 13 years old now, dropped from steps, had a mighty rough life on large industrial sites, plenty of domestic and automotive DIY and my own jobs, no signs of giving up.

I tend to agree that the top brands are much of a muchness however, I have used dewalt and bosch and found them to feel nice, powerful and robust. I would typically look for metal gearing and chuck. I do like the dewalt flexvolt thing, and resent the fact the higher power makita tooling requires non cross compatible batteries and tools.

Makita UK customer service has been absolutely second to none in the one instance I have used it. Faulty impact wrench, collected the following day, and a replacement delivered to me the day after that with no questions asked. I have no experience with the other brands, but Makita being the only independently owned of the lot for some reason resonates with me.

Reply to Bosch Professional or Makita in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net