Discuss Break even analysis in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to complete a break even analysis for an electrician.

I understand that Total Revenue = Total costs

The difficulty is for an electrician total revenue is a mixture of an Hourly rate and Materials sold.

If I base it purely on my hourly rate I only break even after 36 hours a week.

I hope to make a small profit from mark up on materials but as the materials that I sell will be different it's hard to do.

Does anyone have an experience of doing this before. Your helped would be much appreciated.

I'm writing a business plan to obtain a loan and they have asked for a break even analysis. I could just base it on hours but then I only make a profit after 36 hours a week, which doesn't look particularly good. I know from experience that I will break even sooner than this but it's just putting it on paper.

You have the added problem of having to factor the loan into the equation since once you have taken one out, there will be a new break even point.

Yeah I've already factored the loan in. I think the only way that I can do it is calculate how much I need to invoice per day and then say that can come from labour and profit on materials

You don't need to know that handy sparks. That personal info that I do not want to divulge here. I just asked for help on how to calculate break even when taking into account labour and profit from materials.

I'm ltd. I pay dividends out of the profits. I have high fixed costs due to wanting to pay the loan off quickly. But that's irrelevant here. Can anyone help how to calculate break even with labour and sales without having to give away too much personal info.

Does anyone know how to complete a break even analysis for an electrician.

I understand that Total Revenue = Total costs

The difficulty is for an electrician total revenue is a mixture of an Hourly rate and Materials sold.

If I base it purely on my hourly rate I only break even after 36 hours a week.

I hope to make a small profit from mark up on materials but as the materials that I sell will be different it's hard to do.

Does anyone have an experience of doing this before. Your helped would be much appreciated.

What do you mean by Total Revenue = Total costs?

I'm ltd. I pay dividends out of the profits. I have high fixed costs due to wanting to pay the loan off quickly. But that's irrelevant here. Can anyone help how to calculate break even with labour and sales without having to give away too much personal info.

Unless you provide actual figures this thread is pretty much meaningless. Do you realise that the changes in the last budget will undermine the tax efficiency of paying yourself dividends?

...If I base it purely on my hourly rate I only break even after 36 hours a week.

You don't need to know that handy sparks. That personal info that I do not want to divulge here. I just asked for help on how to calculate break even when taking into account labour and profit from materials.

OK, any financial projection of this sort is educated guesswork. So make an estimate of typical materials content in the week's work and calculate your mark up on that level of materials to incorporate into your invoicing amount.

BTW, I wasn't trying to pry. It's just that without the 'big picture', suggesting how to improve the modelling is going to be general rather than specific.

Reply to Break even analysis in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net