Discuss BS 7671 wiring regulation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

domapegitashi

I think the installation in a small communal house (CH) is from BS 7671 16th Edition. The consumer unit has no RCD protection on any of the MCB. I think the cable from the feeder pillar is fed into 100A main switch without any kind of isolator. The problem is that those who run those CH, wants to move the bar area from the existing area into the new area within the communal house. All they are moving is few sockets and lights, it means requires few new junction box to connect wires to socket or light.

My main concern is that CH is not rewiring, do you still install as per 17th edition i.e. RCD protection. Otherwise the consumer unit is require to change as per 17th editions.

you should fit RCD protection to socket circuits and any circuit that has cables buried in the wall< 50mm deep. the regs. (BS7671 ) only apply to the work that you do, so it's a ---- up whether you just protect your work or go the extra mile and fitr a dual RCD board or RCBOs.

Best bet is rcbo's if they don't want to upgrade the consumer unit. Only use junction boxes if the connection areas are accessible at a later date. If not try crimping or wago's in an enclosure.

I think the installation in a small communal house (CH) is from BS 7671 16th Edition. The consumer unit has no RCD protection on any of the MCB. I think the cable from the feeder pillar is fed into 100A main switch without any kind of isolator. The problem is that those who run those CH, wants to move the bar area from the existing area into the new area within the communal house. All they are moving is few sockets and lights, it means requires few new junction box to connect wires to socket or light.

My main concern is that CH is not rewiring, do you still install as per 17th edition i.e. RCD protection. Otherwise the consumer unit is require to change as per 17th editions.

Are you sure this is the best thing to do??

Reply to BS 7671 wiring regulation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net