Discuss BT Fibre..... incoming supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just first fixing fixing a new build and master BT point needs to be in the basement plant room/ next to rack.
BT incomer is overhead line, coming into property on far first floor corner.
Opposite corner to property from basement - basically a long way away!

Other ones we've done with fibre have been lucky and BT able to come straight in where mast point is.

Question is how does fibre terminate into the building, assuming they'll take to the nearest point on first floor and fit some 'sort of box' ?
Do I run a cat6 to basement from 'BT box' so they can then use this to bring master point to basement ?

Hope that makes sense & apologies for my terminology 🙈😂

Cheers Sy

Ideally BT can route their fibre all the way to basement, if you provide them with a nice route, they can use it.

Just done my daughters place in Ireland and we had a lovely route all the way to the airing cupboard where power was available and good place for the router, so everything was co-located together.

May be worth speaking to BT to see if they can install to the basement where you need it if you install any trunking or conduit needed to facilitate this
From what I have heard the external overhead fibre is carried in a number of precut lengths so this may be the only limitation on what can be done

Having had a couple of recent fibre installs completed, engineers do seem to use pre-cut & pre-terminated fibre cable for runs from the nearest distribution unit to a suitable external location for a joint box, which are then jointed onto a second pre-cut length which runs indoors to wherever the OpenReach OTN unit is fitted. This may well limit where it can go in the house but speak to the engineer.

The connection from OTN to router is a standard ethernet cable. Cat6 will be more than adequate for this and won't limit speed as long as it's a decent quality cable, properly terminated with no issues or damage.

The issue there on course is you need power for where the fibre is terminated for the fibre driver and power for the router, maybe soon they will make a combo fibre driver / router but as of today its two devices

The fibre will be terminated at an OpenReach modem, wherever it goes:
You can run cat6 from that to your hub (BT?), but I don't know if that would be speed limiting or not.
Maybe there's some info on that out there?
'Master sockets' will be dead now BT Halo uses VOIP, and copper phone lines aren't needed!
Just chatted to a BT, as long as the Cat6 will carry 1000MB then this will be fine to link Open reach with main router 😉

Reply to BT Fibre..... incoming supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net