Discuss BTEC ND Electrical/Electronic Engineering Route. in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alamb

Hi Folks,

Was looking if some knowledgeable people could give me a little bit of information.

I am a young student, who has always been interested in electrics. I am in my last year of a BTEC ND Electrical/Electronic Engineering, and I am likely to be accepted into university to do a degree as my results are well above average.

Does anyone know if I can use these qualifications to qualify as an Electrician (Domestic Installation and Maintenance sort of stuff has always been my interest). What other qualifications and certificates must I hold?

I enjoy doing to odd jobs around the house and for neighbours and stuff. Was looking for an apprenticeship or starts as an electricians mate, but to be honest, there isn’t much positions up for grabs, especially with trades jobs going the way they're going.

Any information would be good.
Adden

HNC/D will be no help whatsoever for a domestic installer. It will be of benefit if you work in maintenance engineering (I had to take my ONC as part of my apprenticeship) but only because you are likely to cover a much wider range of equipment - I for example maintain, repair and install generators, UPS systems, air con, SCADA and distance protection relays and their associated equipment. I doubt you'd get on to an apprenticeship with HNC/D or a degree though as you'll be over qualified. You would possibly get a job as a trainee though.

To be a "qualified" electrician you want the 17th edition, 2391 and I would consider some kind of domestic installers course to show you the things you might need when installing electrical equipment. I have these too and they help more on the electrician side of my job than they do the electrical engineering side.

Thanks James,

I Hope you dont confuse me with one of these wannabe's who just want to be "qualified" and no more. I would not only like to be qulaified but, knowledgable and experienced. So the more courses and trainning I do and get..... the better. I had a look for the 2391 course at my local college (the one Im already at), and they have it listed part time. One night a week for two months. It fits in around my ND and is pretty cheap. So I think I'll give it a go. I seen the ETT had 3 day course, but at nearly £400 a shot, exculding the exam.

Adden

Hi Adden

The only way to become knowledgeable and experienced is through on the job training really, there are so many situations, installations and faults you come across when working that college courses can only show you a fraction of them in the time they have.

The courses can take you through the steps of making a new installation and covering the legal aspect of a job (such as upgrading the bonding and RCD's) but they probably won't be able to teach you other techniques such as pulling up floor boards, chasing out walls and things like that. These are the things you need to know when you turn up to a house and the owners want a socket on the other side of the room!

Plenty of others will come along and have their say - so I wish you luck in what you decide to do!

James

Reply to BTEC ND Electrical/Electronic Engineering Route. in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net