Discuss Buried Tails in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been following a couple of threads 13634-regs-rcbo-s by wire the world and 13628-rcd-testing by king.
A job came in today to do a PIR on a property that I worked at some years ago and I’d like your opinions.
The cutout is in a basement garage, feeding a cu which is high up in the ground floor wc above.
If I remember the cutout position correctly that would make the tails about 3.5m – am I right in thinking that anything over 2m requires a Switchfuse?
Unless I am lucky and the tails are up the cavity, they won’t be buried deeper than 50mm.
30mA RCD in the garage is impractical so I guess its chop out for steel conduit or SWA unless anyone else has any bright ideas?

Anyone know where the reg is for meter tail lenght. never come accross it in the book thats all. I know its 3m max but just wondered if somone could point out the number for me

thanks

Thanks guys, never found it in the regs either.

I think it may vary with DNO's as I'm sure an EDF guy told me 2m....

Just found in the OSG - the distributor may specify the maximum length - so I guess its an hour on the phone tomorrow!

stlightly on a tanjent here but i put a 4inch core hole in once for a fan and cut straight into the main tails which were in the cavity, confusing as the CU was around the front of the house and the meter on the wall behind me. loudest bang i have either heard, the spark was impressive too

was better than when i was an apprentice and was trusted to put the busbar in the CU, half asleep and put itin in one continues length through the neutral too, blew a 100A push in fuse on a frday evening at 5pm. that was loud and bright too!

Reply to Buried Tails in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net