Discuss Burnt out accessories in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M4rtyj

-
Trainee
Reaction score
What is it with the smell from burnt out accessories?
That distinct bad fish smell we all know and associate with a burnt out cable or accessory.
Is it something in the plastic used in manufacturing of the accessories or is it the pvc cable?
I've just changed a 45a shower switch and can still smell it on my hands after washing them plus the old ones in the back of the van which now stinks lol.

Happy Friday anyway!

I do remember seeing one of John Wards video's where he explains the different smells that can be given off by plugs/sockets etc due to the material used in manufacturing, thought it quite interesting, but can't find a link.

As you're a trainee mate I'll give you a tip, old smelly burned out fittings should be laid to rest in the customers bin, not placed in the van for you to dispose of. ?
dave i dont know why im down as a trainee on the forum? anyhow were not allowed to dispose into tenants bins we have to use our own skips for waste. I know what ur saying though?

Posted this before, but thought it worth posting again, only indication was the smell of fish, none of the protective equipment had tripped, as it has push in terminals, was not a loose connection.

Attachments

• Electrical - 1 of 1.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 26
Posted this before, but thought it worth posting again, only indication was the smell of fish, none of the protective equipment had tripped, as it has push in terminals, was not a loose connection.
To me that looks like an internal manufacturing fault.

We let a friend stay at the place and they had two heaters connected to the same dual socket and noticed that the plugs where getting hot. ? but note the salts from the damp wall on the fixing plate, lime sand mortar all add to the problem.

Reply to Burnt out accessories in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net