Discuss Buying cable in bulk! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was in my local scrappy getting rid of a few bags of rewire cable. The guy was brand new and I ended up speaking to him for a while. We got talking about price of new cable etc and he said c'mon see this. He took me into the shed and in two massive almost skip sized containers there was loads of brand new sealed cable. Most of it was prysmian ( good stuff IMO) He wanted £30 for a drum of 2.5 that's the only price I can remember but had all types as u can imagine.

I no everyone likes making abit of cash on the side but it was almost disgusting the amount of brand new cable that was there. But I'll deffo be buying some next rewire I've got on.

might be worth trying if use are looking to save abit of cash?

There's a great deal of difference between cheap cable and good cable at a good price. I get doncaster cable probably cheaper than 90% of sparks in my town get cheaper makes for. Tis a joy to strip.

Yes it is a joy. Lovely stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

I was in my local scrappy getting rid of a few bags of rewire cable. The guy was brand new and I ended up speaking to him for a while. We got talking about price of new cable etc and he said c'mon see this. He took me into the shed and in two massive almost skip sized containers there was loads of brand new sealed cable. Most of it was prysmian ( good stuff IMO) He wanted £30 for a drum of 2.5 that's the only price I can remember but had all types as u can imagine.

I no everyone likes making abit of cash on the side but it was almost disgusting the amount of brand new cable that was there. But I'll deffo be buying some next rewire I've got on.

might be worth trying if use are looking to save abit of cash?

Probably hot.....

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, could well be that fake rubbish from China. No one scraps brand new, legit cable!

Who says the stuff you buy from your local in dependant wholesales legit? Could be fake or stolen.....

If it was unmarked drums fair enough might be abit dubious, but as I said it was prysmian, still in cardboard box etc etc

Who says the stuff you buy from your local in dependant wholesales legit? Could be fake or stolen.....

If it was unmarked drums fair enough might be abit dubious, but as I said it was prysmian, still in cardboard box etc etc

Absolutely nothing, in fact the majority of the fake stuff ends up in small time wholesalers, some even makes the bigger ones, then when it's found to be duff it's scrapped and ends up in places like the one described, in big container units being flogged for the second time, this time only it's unsuspecting tradesmen who are buying it who don't neccessarily know that it's fake even though it's got Prysmian and Basec stamped all over it.

The biggest stockists of duff cable are wholesalers, at least buying it from them however gives you an excuse if ever anyone ended up dead as a result of you using it. Your response to police questioning would be something along the lines of "But I bought it from a reputable wholesaler, I had no reason to believe that it was substandard." What would your response be if you bought it out of some container round the back of a warehouse from some dodgy scrap metal dealer? "Why sorry contstubble?! I had no idea that the smelly pikey looking guy was selling me duff cable?! He swored it to me?!"

I scrap it cause I'm never doing work for family again.. I just scrapped about 20 rolls of singles this week , stillinplastic .. Il not use it

I think what I'm trying to get at is...

There is a very good reason as to why seemingly brand new cable has been scrapped. If it was perfectly good to use then it would have been!

My point - If it seems too good to be true then it probably is. Go to a decent wholesaler and get the proper stuff. A decent wholesaler and you'll be paying pretty much the same price too!

Reply to Buying cable in bulk! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net