Discuss Buying from CEF... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I once had some muppet in CEF try and charge me £9 trade for a Hager MCB (that I'd normally expect to be around £2.50).

I told him he was being an idiot, and the price dropped to £4 - still a rip-off but cheaper than me driving 25 odd miles to another wholesaler.

I Like them!

Went through cash flow crisis not so long ago, they were the only ones not to put me on stop.

Screwfix, denmans and Eddies all put me on stop.

Now all paid up, I favour CEF for being understanding.

Cant see anyone getting sued for expressing an opinion!!!!

I can't stand any of the wholesalers tbh. Unless you are "one of the boys", it's hard to get decent service. Quite often just get fed up of waiting and walk out. Quick drive to screwfix and it's sorted. That said, my local CEF are probably the friendliest.

you for one or the forum,blame/claim culture these days.damaging the brand etc..it happens

For expressing an personnal opinion on a public forum ? lol , they can try but last time i checked freedom of speech was still a basic tennant of British law.
;-)
As for brand damage , they dont need my help , they do a great job all on their own.

well it all boils down to the branch the branch i have in all fairness are good good lads and try there best to help and they stock scholmore click which at the mo is my favoured socket and switch and they guys know they cant sell me M2 appart from the consumer units which i do like ,but you do have to watch their invoicing

Can't sue for telling it how it is.

I find that the price at the counter bears no relevance to the price on the invoice. £60+ for a mini torch that was £9. Told £35 for a digital timer (which I based my price on to my customer) then got charged £45. M2 gear crubmles as you touch it. MGC may as well be made by Airfix. Denmans oe Eddies every time. Even the sheds are better and usually cheaper.

There's no such thing as a 'CEF price list' - they just make up the prices as they go along. I'm not saying other wholesalers don't do it as well, but CEF seem to be the most prolific offenders.

Try buying multiple items, paying for them, then turning around and saying "actually can I get another one of these?" then compare the prices on the receipts.
I hate using S*itty's even if I'm not paying.

I'll tell you a little story about my last visit to CEF.....

Saturday morning , got commercial submains job to finish off so call into CEF as my usual wholesalers no-longer opens
on a sat.
All i need to finish job is 4mtr of brown 25mm tails & 2 mtr blue 25mm tails , couldnt be simpler eh ?
So give order to the monkey behind counter , pay , walk out with cable and drive to job.
Midway through wiring main switchfuse , which involved turning off power to the whole building , realised he'd given me only 3 mtr of brown , not enough to complete the job ! effing to$$er !! even worse was he charged me for 4mtr on the invioce , so he never misheard me either , just blatantly ripped me off.
Every CEF in the land can burn to the ground if i had my way.
As for prices , screwfix will beat them hands down all day long.

What did they say when you went back??

i can see cef's solicitors sharpening their pencils..

As said previously, they can't sue because people have told their stories... Most newspapers have a consumer advice column and print peoples letters about companys they've had problems with.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be going back to ScrewFix for the time being!

Reply to Buying from CEF... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net