Search the forum,

Discuss Bypassing main fuse. Anyone else seen this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,

I was doing an eicr in a flat today, it came to checking the main service fuse.
Fuse pulled I proceeded to undo the case to check the amperage and was a little shocked with seeing a metal bar essentially bypassing the fuse(pics attached).
After a little thought I guess there is another fuse down below removing the need for a second fuse.

Anyone else seen this before and know the name of the part used? Or is this a one off

57EECE23-0BA1-47B1-9C92-9B007ADA45E9.jpeg

DE958100-D52B-405F-B995-BFEB69E116C7.jpeg

Gonna report you if you send this highly informative thread off course:D
Sorry Sir, you're right Sir, won't happen again Sir, promise Sir

For any standard electrical work including EICRs: It should not be common practice, it is not required, it is illegal, it is dangerous, to pull the fuse.
In this case luckily he has not pulled the fuse as it is just a link!
Just as dangerous though.
Where there are two service heads in series on the single supply it is redundant to have a second fuse so a link is used instead at the downstream service head.

Evening all,

I was doing an eicr in a flat today, it came to checking the main service fuse.
Fuse pulled I proceeded to undo the case to check the amperage and was a little shocked with seeing a metal bar essentially bypassing the fuse(pics attached).
After a little thought I guess there is another fuse down below removing the need for a second fuse.

Anyone else seen this before and know the name of the part used? Or is this a one off

Oh dear oh dear.

So you’re a DIYer carrying out an eicr and you don’t even know what a red cutout link is???

Clearly you are not competent to carry out an EICR if you don’t know something as basic as this! If you don’t even know the difference between a fuse and a disconnect link do you know the difference between left and right?

Oh dear oh dear.

So you’re a DIYer carrying out an eicr and you don’t even know what a red cutout link is???

Clearly you are not competent to carry out an EICR if you don’t know something as basic as this! If you don’t even know the difference between a fuse and a disconnect link do you know the difference between left and right?
diplomatic as ever, dave. :D:D:D.

maybe we could get him elected as our Brexit representative. that'll sort them europe federalists out.

For any standard electrical work including EICRs: It should not be common practice, it is not required, it is illegal, it is dangerous, to pull the fuse.
In this case luckily he has not pulled the fuse as it is just a link!
Just as dangerous though.
Where there are two service heads in series on the single supply it is redundant to have a second fuse so a link is used instead at the downstream service head.

Just in case.................I was joking!

I've found 200 Amp fuse in the suppliers fuse holder in a domestic installation. Probably followed the logic of if a fuse blows fit a bigger one. Since both the EIC and EICR require one to state the type and rating of the fuse, how can you be sure it is as expected, without removing and opening the fuse holder ?

DNOs must vary on this. ENWL do not allow interference with main fuse by private electricians. Seals are there for a purpose
You are not authorised to work in the incoming mains, it is not part of the installation, and is not covered by BS 6761. You did of course re-seal it afterwards, and wore the correct ppe and worked to the relavent code of practice as issued by the DNO? Again it's a big joke to interfere with the supply equipment, but look out anyone who does a bit of wiring when they're not qualified. I suppose next you'll be in the sub-station checking the lv board out.

DNOs must vary on this. ENWL do not allow interference with main fuse by private electricians. Seals are there for a purpose
You are not authorised to work in the incoming mains, it is not part of the installation, and is not covered by BS 6761. You did of course re-seal it afterwards, and wore the correct ppe and worked to the relavent code of practice as issued by the DNO? Again it's a big joke to interfere with the supply equipment, but look out anyone who does a bit of wiring when they're not qualified. I suppose next you'll be in the sub-station checking the lv board out.
Bs6761 ?

I've found 200 Amp fuse in the suppliers fuse holder in a domestic installation. Probably followed the logic of if a fuse blows fit a bigger one. Since both the EIC and EICR require one to state the type and rating of the fuse, how can you be sure it is as expected, without removing and opening the fuse holder ?
Have to agree that on an EICR you shouldn’t be pulling the bullet. If you’re not sure it is as stated on the cut-out by supplier just LIM or NV your report?

SSE allow us to pull the fuse.
If a customer phones for an isolator they tell them to get an electrician to do it.

The idea of not being able to islolate the supply is utter bollox.
SSE/Hydro around my parts allow NICEIC Approved contractors to pull the main fuses subject to wearing the appropriate PPE. I think it’s written into their own internal guidelines?

SSE/Hydro around my parts allow NICEIC Approved contractors to pull the main fuses subject to wearing the appropriate PPE. I think it’s written into their own internal guidelines?
SSE told me anyone registered with a scheme can pull the fuse,but I don’t think they have any kind of sustain place to check anyway

SSE told me anyone registered with a scheme can pull the fuse,but I don’t think they have any kind of sustain place to check anyway
apparently if you pop in the sse depot to pick up sticker seals they check with the scheme you are a member when you phone to arrange this. you have to give addresses of said fuses. if you cant give address they limit you to 10 seals and then when you give addresses you get another 10.
I use metal wire and crimp seals. and they were fine to let me use these. they said no need to let them know then but if in doubt about the fuse or its old/stiff give them a call to do it.

Reply to Bypassing main fuse. Anyone else seen this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net