Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss C/H supply - spurred or dedicated cct? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Carter

OK then, long story short; relative has had her old (housing assoc prop) back boiler removed and a new combi installed. The plumbers left the combi's flex temporarily dogged into a plug top and plugged into a socket outlet over the worktop with the assurance that the sparks would be along the next day to make the final connection. I thought I'd show my face when they pitched up and was relieved to find them attempting to pull what I assumed was to be a new circuit through the over-packed mini trunkings and back to the existing C/H mcb in the C/U. I returned at day's end to find all working as per and Carter's aunt more than happy with it.

I then got a late night call from her talling me that all the sockets were tripping out, after running her through a few basic checks it seemed like the Cent Htg breaker was taking no part in proceedings at all???

Next morning confirmed that they hadn't run a seperate circuit at all and their switched FCU was in fact spurred off the washing machine spur which sits on the kitchen ring cct. Carter's sainted aunty then informed me that "...yes they were struggling to get one of their cables through the 'ole, I think they gave up in the end."

hmmmm. that'll explain that then.

So a call to their clerk of works ensued followed by him attending and I quizzed him along the lines of "so why didn't you pull a seperate cicuit? What about cumulative earth leakages? and more importantly if a fault develops with the ring circuit then she'll lose all heating and vice versa?"
A few days later following his consultation with their engineer he came back proffering...
"...that circley drawing at the back of that red book you showed me."

:rolleyes:

He was referring of course to the illustration at Appendix 15 as justification for the validity of the circuit arrangement. He also offered the fact that...
...we've done over 4oo of these so far; all the same way...
as if this was going to impress or somehow nullify the existence of BS 7671 sec. 314 completely.

So gents, where does this practice (of spurring a central heating supply off a ring circuit) sit in relation to sec. 314 Division of Installation? Just can't see how it satisfies the requirements here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason is right, but if at all practical it is best practice to run a seperate circuit for the boiler for the reasons you state, but sometimes it is just not practical to do it.
I have even seen boilers tapped into the lighting circuit, not ideal but not strictly wrong either as far as i am aware.

Cheers...Howard

as long as it's not an electric boiler!!!!

Jason said:
Technically, there is nothing wrong with a switched spur fused at 3A for CH.

But that's my point Jason; sec.314 states...

Every installation SHALL be divided into circuits as necessary, to:

(i) avoid hazards and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault...

Fails here absolutely in my view, in summer it would undoubtedly range from an inconvenience to the single 'man about town' to a massive and life disrupting PITA for a family with four kids or something. For the housebound elderly in the week-long freezing grip of a British January the 'incident' curve gets rapidly steeper and the consequences a lot more serious. how many suffer an accelerated demise every year through just 'mild' hypothermia? Thousands?

(ii) facilitate safe inspection, testing and maintenance...

Fair enough so long as the spark in attendance actually removes the fuse from the spur unit to ENSURE safe isolation rather than just flick it off. At this point we're back to dobs of red tape over the switch!

(iii) to take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit...

...see (i) and (ii) above...

(iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents...

Well it certainly failed on this one, cured by buying a replacement kettle! And let's remember that first sentence of 314, the operative word here is "SHALL" be divided into circuits... not "should" be which is of course merely advisory in intent. That being the case I still can't see how a principal circuit such as a dwelling's whole heating and hot water supply is allowed to be deemed merely a sub-circuit. ??? It's a pretty fundamental one if you ask me. As a side note to this; I ramped the kitchen ring RCBO and found that it tripped repeatably and consistently at 19mA!

Jason is right, but if at all practical it is best practice to run a seperate circuit for the boiler for the reasons you state, but sometimes it is just not practical to do it.

That's hit the nail on the head Sirkit. In this case it was entirely practical, there was the newly vacated breaker that controlled the old rig and even a spare way adjacent! The only problem was the fact that their specifying engineer failed to pick up on the fact that the existing MT runs in these properties might/would be packed tight and omitted the requirement for bigger containment from his tender. Either that or their subbies couldn't be @rsed to strip and fit a bit of MT4.
Once again; from the wording of 314 I'd have to say that the requirement is for something beyond a matter of 'best practice'. It's a requirement.

I have even seen boilers tapped into the lighting circuit, ...

Eek!

...not ideal but not strictly wrong either as far as i am aware.

Apart from the non-compliance with the spirit if not the word of that pesky sec.314 ;)

Cheers...Howard

And thank you for the input Howard. :cool:

as long as it's not an electric boiler!!!!

Well this is the other point that gripped my grapes on this one, along with the back boiler they stripped out the immersion tank which meant that where once the property had the ability to independantly store a quantity of hot water it now has none and she's reliant on a single instantaneous/on demand (?) arrangement. If it goes down she's down to kettles or in the worst case, pans on hobs, which is even more dangerous. At the moment she's OK, hale and hearty but things inevitably change in that regard and the consequences of her dumping pans of boiling water... Me no likey! :mad:

Imo dont think its best practice but technically ok depending on the load,is the washing machine spur fused down?

Nah it's wired into the ring and controls an unswitched socket under the worktop into which the washing machine is plugged. Their spark took a pair (2.5mm sq) and a CPC from the feed terminals of that spur to another one he'd fitted immediately below for the C/Htg.

I see what you are saying, but sec 314 (i) is in regards to one RCD protecting a whole installation for eg.

Which is why we use dual CU's to spread the circuits.

I see what you are saying, but sec 314 (i) is in regards to one RCD protecting a whole installation...

Sorry Jason I'm not seeing that anywhere :confused: There's no mention of that regulation's specific applicability to RCD protected circuits only. They get their mention at 314.1.(iv) and it fails to comply with that too.

I should have made it clearer in the first post but t's pretty much all of sec.314 that I believe is in conflict with the practice of installing spurred C/H feeds, well all bar 314.3 and even that depends on correct isolation being followed re removal of the cartridge fuse.

So at this point I still say it fails.

If they stripped out an immersion cylinder I would assume that there would now be a redundant immersion supply? Why the hell didn't they just extend the immersion supply to the new boiler seeing as how it would he surplass to requirement and already wired back to the CU.

But that's my point Jason; sec.314 states...

Every installation SHALL be divided into circuits as necessary, to:

(i) avoid hazards and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault...

Fails here absolutely in my view, in summer it would undoubtedly range from an inconvenience to the single 'man about town' to a massive and life disrupting PITA for a family with four kids or something. For the housebound elderly in the week-long freezing grip of a British January the 'incident' curve gets rapidly steeper and the consequences a lot more serious. how many suffer an accelerated demise every year through just 'mild' hypothermia? Thousands?
The installation as a whole would still function with circuits unaffected by the disconnection of others

(ii) facilitate safe inspection, testing and maintenance...

Fair enough so long as the spark in attendance actually removes the fuse from the spur unit to ENSURE safe isolation rather than just flick it off. At this point we're back to dobs of red tape over the switch!

(iii) to take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit...

...see (i) and (ii) above...

(iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents...

Well it certainly failed on this one, cured by buying a replacement kettle! And let's remember that first sentence of 314, the operative word here is "SHALL" be divided into circuits... not "should" be which is of course merely advisory in intent. That being the case I still can't see how a principal circuit such as a dwelling's whole heating and hot water supply is allowed to be deemed merely a sub-circuit. ??? It's a pretty fundamental one if you ask me. As a side note to this; I ramped the kitchen ring RCBO and found that it tripped repeatably and consistently at 19mA!

That's hit the nail on the head Sirkit. In this case it was entirely practical, there was the newly vacated breaker that controlled the old rig and even a spare way adjacent! The only problem was the fact that their specifying engineer failed to pick up on the fact that the existing MT runs in these properties might/would be packed tight and omitted the requirement for bigger containment from his tender. Either that or their subbies couldn't be @rsed to strip and fit a bit of MT4.
Once again; from the wording of 314 I'd have to say that the requirement is for something beyond a matter of 'best practice'. It's a requirement.

Eek!

Apart from the non-compliance with the spirit if not the word of that pesky sec.314 ;)

And thank you for the input Howard. :cool:

1/ If there was a split rcd board with up and down sockets, the seperate central heating mcb would lose power when a fault on one or the other took out the rcd relevant to the central heating circuit, unless your saying each circuit should have single rcbos as well
A split rcd board minimises inconveniance,it wont remove inconveniance,only a non fault system ( if it were possible) could do that and we would all love one of them :)

2/
This is more to do with the competence of the person who will work on the system
isolation of the spur can be at the distribution board
3/
Lights throughout go off and granny takes a tumble
Split the circuits up so that gran can plug a lamp in a working socket
The central heating spurred off the ring goes off and danger doesn't appear to be imminent
4/
Are you saying that you had a kettle that uses a functional earth as part of its design
54.3.7 will define these requirements

If they stripped out an immersion cylinder I would assume that there would now be a redundant immersion supply? Why the hell didn't they just extend the immersion supply to the new boiler seeing as how it would he surplass to requirement and already wired back to the CU.

That baffled me as well, I probably would have let it slide if they'd tagged onto/extended the existing cable. And like I said there was a spare way in the board anyway! For a few mtrs of MT2 they compromised the whole install. Oh and they've done the same thing 400 odd times previously.

1/ If there was a split rcd board with up and down sockets,

Sorry Des should've said; it's a flat, single storey. the board is one of those old Square D jobbies, 8way I think from memory. I'll scribble down the cct arrangement tomorrow but I know there was one 'Spare' breaker and also a ruddy blank plate to insert an 8th breaker if needed! The previous C/H circuit was terminated into a 16A type B not an RCBO.

...the seperate central heating mcb would lose power when a fault on one or the other took out the rcd relevant to the central heating circuit,

Exactly; that's the problem.

...unless your saying each circuit should have single rcbos as well

Well I'm definitely saying that a dwelling's only means of heating and generating hot water deserves its own dedicated circuit to which no extraneous equipment should be added unless it's a functional element of the heating system. It just makes complete sense now that homes no longer have the diversity of solid fuel ranges, gas water heaters, or whatever by which to generate hot water should the supply go down.

A split rcd board minimises inconveniance,it wont remove inconveniance,only a non fault system ( if it were possible) could do that and we would all love one of them :)

Agree there.

2/
This is more to do with the competence of the person who will work on the system
isolation of the spur can be at the distribution board

Well you can't (or more precisely, positively shouldn't) legislate for the lowest common denomination of idiot that's for sure but handymen do love to whip the covers off stuff and to them Flip the spur = Pilot lamp goes OFF = Safe to proceed. That's a foreseeable scenario, the fuse remains in situ, matey boy is scrambling around on the worktop and a careless knock energises the boiler, Mr. DIY gets a ******.

3/
Lights throughout go off and granny takes a tumble
Split the circuits up so that gran can plug a lamp in a working socket
The central heating spurred off the ring goes off and danger doesn't appear to be imminent

I get the point you're making Des, that imminent danger is more likely in that fault scenario but that doesn't devalue the argument I'm making. It'd be interesting to find some stats on that proverbial; staircase light fails - people sustain serious/fatal injury, montage and see exactly how many times a year that actually happens? 10? 20? maybe, I don't mean cracking your shin on the coffee table. On the other hand I hear some horrendous figures given for proven cases of accelerated death in the elderly caused by mild hypothermia and these are mean averages.

4/
Are you saying that you had a kettle that uses a functional earth as part of its design
54.3.7 will define these requirements

Nope, course not, :confused: it was in the preliminary stages of developing a short to earth in its element due to the corrosion and encrustation of scale. If you'd ever tasted the caustic witch's **** that Severn Trent serve up round here you'd understand why. It was contributing its own residual current to that of the washing machine and the boiler and that was enough (I'm guessing) to trip the kitchen ring RCD which as I said had an effective trip current of 19mA upon doing a ramp test on it. My point was that tacking the C/H onto the kitchen ring compromised the integrity and functionality of the installation.

I agree Mr C.

I now see that the installer has spurred from an outlet which has a 13A switched spur controlling it.

Well, personally, i cannot see anything wrong, apart from the fact that if the washing machine trips, it will take the CH with it.

This i cant see as being a hazard, electrically.

The key words we have to look at are "shall" and "minimise".

"Shall" is not "must" and "minimise" is not "remove completely"

Not ideal, but not a hazard.

All IMHO.

:)

I agree Mr C.

I now see that the installer has spurred from an outlet which has a 13A switched spur controlling it.

Not quite Jason, he hasn't spurred off the washing machine socket outlet, he's spurred off the feed side of the sw/spur that controls it and that feed is part of the kitchen ring.

Well, personally, i cannot see anything wrong, apart from the fact that if the washing machine trips, it will take the CH with it.

...apart from the fact that if the... which kinda makes my point; from a design point of view it shows a disregard for the functionality of the installation and the convenience (and in some circumstances the health) of the end user. It wouldn't pass muster in a commercial or industrial situation would it? In fact if it appeared on one of the engineer's/architect's dis-board schedules or drawings it'd be an open invitation to gather round, point and laugh!

This i cant see as being a hazard, electrically.

Well not an electrical hazard per se granted that it isn't going to immediately explode in a ball of flame and sparks and subject to the various degrees of 'hazard' that can be defined but that's not the issue I'm raising. I'm saying at most that it's a hazard of an electrical nature in as much as it involoves an electrical system and the design thereof.

The key words we have too look at are "shall" and "minimise".

"Shall" is not "must"...

Well actually it is. In any fair reading and particularly in regard to legal interpretations, the word "shall" is imperative, there is no conditional or optional element implied at all. The authors of BS7671 seem to have adopted the American grammatical habit of freely interchanging "will" and "shall" without regard as to whether they are speaking in the first, second or third person.
My Webster's gives its definitions as...
1. plan to, intend to, or expect to: I shall go later.
2. will have to, is determined to, or definitely will: You shall do it. He shall do it.
3. (in laws, directives, etc.) must; is or are obliged to: The meetings of the council shall be public.
4. (used interrogatively in questions, often in invitations): Shall we go?
Which seems pretty unequivocal; number 4 merely demonstrates its use as an interogative not a conditional.

...and "minimise" is not "remove completely"

True, they're completely different objectives and I'm not trying to conflate the two, the only way to completely remove the electrical risk from a dwelling is to pull the service fuse. I contend that (where facility allows) not installing a seperate circuit for a dwelling's heating/hot water system actually does the opposite to minimising inconvenience, it in fact increases the potential for serously inconveniencing the end user so therefore falls foul of 314.

Not ideal, but not a hazard.

All IMHO.

And I know what you're saying but it comes down to two things here, an assessment of the scope of the word 'hazard' and whether sec. 314 applies or not and if not... why not?

Cheers fellahs, your input much appreciated because I've yet to get the definitaive answer on this one.

Got to say that you really are barking up the wrong tree here. If they had spurred off the switched side of the spur for the W/M that would have been foolish but seems as though they have just spurred off the ring circuit.....Really cant see a problem

Got to say that you really are barking up the wrong tree here.

OK; but why?

If they had spurred off the switched side of the spur for the W/M that would have been foolish...

Obviously so, but presumably your argument against them doing that would be not only the incompatability of the 13A cartridge fuse in the spur with the combi's 0.5mm sq supply flex but also the fact that to isolate the combi would also put another piece of equipment out of action. Yes?

but seems as though they have just spurred off the ring circuit.....Really cant see a problem

Except its departure from the spirit and letter of sec.314. So please someone, tell me how this arrangement satisfies this requirement.

Some things there are no 100% correct / incorrect answers for, you just have to make your own mind up, either way if it is fused correctly nobody will be in danger,,
We have probably all seen lights spurred off a ring if its difficult to get to a lighting circuit, is it correct, maybe maybe not, is it dangerous? not if its fused correctly.
Really think you need to make your own mind up

Phew. Thank goodness, that's cleared that one up then!

Seriously? That's the best answer? I thought we were logical people, dealing with facts 'n such?

I wasn't being funny, but sometimes we get a bee in our bonnet about someone or something and our minds blow it out of all proportion, it takes over our logic.
I feel that if it's safe and unlikely to cause a problem in the future ,make your judgement and move on,you're probably the only one getting stressed about it, "don't sweat the small stuff" move on to more important things like "what are you having on your sandwiches tomorrow"

... either way if it is fused correctly nobody will be in danger,,

Thanks for the reply Sparks; but I thought I'd illustrated that the danger of the practice isn't particularly one of overload faults, providing as you say that the C/H spur is suitably fused down. We're not just obliged to consider the minimisation of direct risk from electrical faults (shock, fire etc) but also the minimisation of inconvenience and have regard in the design stage for the conditions of use. The danger in this case arises when an elderly person might be left with no means of winter heating in the event of a fault on the ring.

We have probably all seen lights spurred off a ring if its difficult to get to a lighting circuit,

True, but they are usually providing auxilliary lighting functions such as garden/patio lights, shed outhouses an so on never a dwelling's main lighting. In my experience it's never impossible to access the correct circuit, as you say it's about degrees of difficulty which on the ground translates into how conscientious, creative or lazy the installer is in finding his wiring route and how much a customer can afford.
In this instance there was minimal extra work involved for the installer, he just couldn't be bothered to do it right so the regs are put to one side for the sake of his expediency/profit and that sort of attitude really grips my ****.

...is it correct, maybe not, is it dangerous? not if its fused correctly.

That's comparing apples and pears really. The example you cite (sundry light dogged into power cct) isn't going to massively affect someone's life if it goes south, unnecessarily losing your only source of heat and hot water certainly will and in some circumstances seriously so.

Really think you need to make your own mind up

Well so far nothing I've read has made me moderate my objection to it and I'm still wanting to know why sec.314 doesn't apply here or can be applied selectively. ??

The Regs as we know are not a statutory document and though it can be used in a court of law to confirm guilt or innocence it is still open to interpretation.

I have been asked about 6 times in both a domestic and industrial situation to look at a situation where the loss of a supply and also a shock incident occured if blame could be apportioned to the installer. Everyone of these incidents resulted in a non prosecution as it would have be tremdously difficult to apportion blame.

While I commend your stance on this, you are going to have to step back and see what the result of this installation will be. Correctly you say that if a fault developed on the washing machine it will take off the CH boiler that controls your Aunt's heating. But can you say that in regulation 314.2 that the consequences would be dire, inconvinient yes, but not dire.

Could we say that a cooker/ hob that was electrical should not be on an RCD where a socket can trip them, as the very loss of cooking can also be life threatening. You can have a microwave. oven to get by on, the same as you could have a couple of fan heaters to get by on, before someone can come out and rectify the problem.

As for the other sections of the regulations 314, again how far would you reasonably go to minimise inconvenience, it would be far better to have an installation with perhaps 10-12 mini DNO heads each feeding an individual single way board, that feeds individual circuits within the house.

Yes there is a logical reason to have a boiler on it's own circuit, but often many considerations have to be taken into account, There are no regluations insisting on this and so it is not therefore compulsory to do so. Thre bottom line to this is if the boiler did trip due to a fault on the ring final, could you envisage winning a compensation claim by citing regulations 314 .............I doubt that very much.

Nice one Malcolm, we're getting closer...

The Regs as we know are not a statutory document and though it can be used in a court of law to confirm guilt or innocence it is still open to interpretation.

Dunno so much about that, the wording of 314 is pretty unequivocal. Can't see much 'wiggle room' there.

I have been asked about 6 times in both a domestic and industrial situation to look at a situation where the loss of a supply and also a shock incident occured if blame could be apportioned to the installer. Everyone of these incidents resulted in a non prosecution as it would have be tremdously difficult to apportion blame.

Difficult to comment without knowing the circumstances but point taken.

...But can you say that in regulation 314.2 that the consequences would be dire, inconvinient yes, but not dire.

There is no qualitative guidance given in 314.2 advising on degrees of 'direness' but I suppose if you're 80yrs old, frail, living alone and cut off by snow then I'd say yes the consequences could and would be extremely dire. If you examine the wording as I'm sure you have, it states;

"Seperate circuits SHALL be provided for parts of the installation which need to be seperately controlled..." - In my opininon a dwelling's whole heating and hot water system amply deserves its status as a principal circuit and therefore requires seperate control.
"...in such a way that those circuits are not affected by the failure of other circuits..." - which it undoubtedly will be in its current state therefore it fails here.
"...and due account SHALL be taken of the consequences of the operation of any single protective device." - Which is what they've failed to do here. Just can't see how they could possibly wangle a compliance out of that lot unless they're demoting the status of a whole heating/HW system to the equivalence of a bell Xformer?

Could we say that a cooker/ hob that was electrical should not be on an RCD where a socket can trip them, as the very loss of cooking can also be life threatening.

No of course we couldn't because the risk of shock from having a big lump of electrified metal in your kitchen is more immediately life threatening than a simple malfunction or overload and so that is the risk that must be given precedence.

You can have a microwave. oven to get by on, the same as you could have a couple of fan heaters to get by on, before someone can come out and rectify the problem.

All of which assume prior ownership. Not an assumption I think is valid, crikey I don't think we've even got one in the house/loft/garage now I think about it!:D

As for the other sections of the regulations 314, again how far would you reasonably go to minimise inconvenience,...

Coupla metres of cable and a length of MT4? Spare breaker in the board just waiting to receive it? Doesn't seem too onerous to me and well within the scope of work that's reasonably expected of someone who professeses to be an installer of central heating systems.

it would be far better to have an installation with perhaps 10-12 mini DNO heads...

It's called a consumer unit isn't it?;)

Yes there is a logical reason to have a boiler on it's own circuit,

several very good ones in fact

...but often many considerations have to be taken into account,

the idleness and convenience of the sub-contractor isn't one of them though is it?

There are no regluations insisting on this and so it is not therefore compulsory to do so.

Even though that's exactly what the wording and intention of sec. 314 requires?

Thre bottom line to this is if the boiler did trip due to a fault on the ring final,

No "if" about it is there? if the ring goes down so does the heating and H/W.

...could you envisage winning a compensation claim by citing regulations 314 .............I doubt that very much.

Well that's a different bucket of whelks altogether, can open, worms all over the gaff!

Unfortunately the IET and the rest of the electrical industry do not share your interpretation of regulations 314 .................if the IET considered a boiler to be in the same category as a fire alarm then it would be included in the safety services section and the requirements of additional back up systems ie battery for one, would be warrented.

I'm sorry you can bat this around all day, but the bottom line is that a CH boiler under any circumstances does not evoke regulation 314.2 and I think I'm about the 4 or 5 th poster that disagrees with you, but of course if you wish there is nothing stopping you in running your aunts boiler with a new supply, and any consquent boiler the same. You would be within the regulations to do so.

Carter,I fail see your interpretation of the regs, to fit the circumstances, has much if any support thus far
Even the most stalwart of proposers of a view should/must ( that was a deliberate choice of words :D) take into account those alternative interpretations, even though they oppose your own,simply because of that overwhelming opposition that you face

Obviously you are not wrong that a seperate circuit for c/h is an improvement on a non seperate circuit
Whether that improvemnet is required or necessary is an issue you alone "or in a minority" see as of importance

I wasn't being funny, but sometimes we get a bee in our bonnet about someone or something and our minds blow it out of all proportion, it takes over our logic.

Oh I'm aware of that mate, but in this instance (and over four hundred others don't forget) someone has dropped the ball or taken the **** for the sake of an easy life and to someone else's detriment. Oh and all using public money as well.

...you're probably the only one getting stressed about it,

:D 'Fraid not Giio, following several telephone conversations with their Clerk of Works who rather shame-facedly revealed he was from a plumbing background but "I've got me Part P and I can put the NICEIC logo on my van!"
I told him to refer it up to his electrical specifying engineer and come back to me with a definitive answer. It seems I've set a rabbit loose as I've had no response to the question other than an offer by return to install a dedicated circuit as requested (hmmmm) and would I be willing to receive a site visit from him and said engineer to discuss the issue in detail?

Well of course says I, no problem with that, but why do I need a visit from your engineer? Does it comply or not? Simple enough question isn't it? So it seems they admit there's an issue to address here as; margins on Hsg. Assoc. maintenance contracts being what they are, I expected a flat refusal to entertain any remedial work. Now if they think there is a problem with this one of sufficient magnitude to wipe out their profit on the job then the implications are very far reaching indeed. What's the betting that it's been reproduced parrot fashion across the country's Hsg. Assocs.?

Should be an interesting meeting. Smoke me a kipper!

Lol .....................love this wish, I was that engineer in question.

So now this company is going to have to risk assess every installation they do regarding a CH boiler installation.

Ok number 27 is an 80 yr old woman so 314.2 invoked .........seperate boiler circuit

Ok number 29 young family with a bay .....hmmmmm yes go on then invoke 314.2 seperate boiler circuit

Ok number 31 couple of young lads .......oh they are ok spur the boiler

Ok number 33 75 yr old woman but has a 44 yr old son living with her .............hmmmm no they will be ok spur the boiler circuit

hold on chief number 29 have moved out and a family with no children have moved in ............ok then un-invoke that 314.2 as they are Ok spur now for the boiler circuit

all the above is nonsense ......................

Lol .....................love this wish, I was that engineer in question.

So now this company is going to have to risk assess every installation they do regarding a CH boiler installation.

Ok number 27 is an 80 yr old woman so 314.2 invoked .........seperate boiler circuit

Ok number 29 young family with a bay .....hmmmmm yes go on then invoke 314.2 seperate boiler circuit

Ok number 31 couple of young lads .......oh they are ok spur the boiler

Ok number 33 75 yr old woman but has a 44 yr old son living with her .............hmmmm no they will be ok spur the boiler circuit

hold on chief number 29 have moved out and a family with no children have moved in ............ok then un-invoke that 314.2 as they are Ok spur now for the boiler circuit

Or they could have just done the right thing in the first place and kept the seperate feed, lot easier. The regs can neither be 'invoked' any more than they can be ignored, they are what they are.

all the above is nonsense ......................

We'll have to wait and see. Moreover, why would they immediately come back with an offer to install a seperate circuit without so much as a quibble if they didn't think they were on shakey ground?

just had to have my say there is absolutley nothing wrong with spuring off ring for a ch boiler,fan heater,security light and a number of other items, yes good idea to put all of the above on dedicated circuits but no reg says we need to.if we carried out rewire. new build we would all try (i hope) to pull a lot more circuits 3 maybe 4 rings 3 or 4 lighting etc. are you saying ring has more chance of a fault than a ch boiler circuit. if the company in question issued a minor works certificate call there conforming body ie nic ,nappit etc and they WILL agree with me (30 yrs exp. and nic approved 18 years and many boilers spured) p.s. company in question carried out 400 jobs like this if they went back to cu on all these cost goes up less jobs and maybe poor old carters auntie no new boiler.

My god i cant believe this discussion has gone on for this long! There is nothing wrong with what has been done! Yes it may not be best practice, personally i would not do it, but is it really that dangerous? At the end of the day as long as the boiler is fused down correctly and it is clearly marked up at the DB its fine. If its bothering you that much why dont you get onto this housing associations scheme provider and tell them of all the wrong theyre doing and see what they say?
Other examples, people spur off socket circuits to feed maybe a garden light or two and to be honest it wouldnt be my first choice of how to do the job, but aslong as its fused down etc, then its complies. As you will know yourself, cost is a massive part for the customer and we cant always do a job to our own personal standards as it may involve extra cost. Housing associations arent immune to this extra cost either. I just think theres bigger problems in the world then that someone has spurred for the boiler from the RFC.

Reply to C/H supply - spurred or dedicated cct? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net