Discuss Cabinet for mains supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ben8_n

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, any recommendations for neat and complaint ways to "house" a new supply -- the main electrical fuse, cut out, meter etc that on our house is inside the house near the front door. It's currently inside a cupboard that needs to come down, but am assuming I can't just cover with any cupboard and meet regs. We recently had the supply changed from 30amp to 100 and expected this would come up, but it didn't.

Hello, I would recommend a standard GRP (Glass Reinforced Polymer) cabinet such as the one below. It can accommodate a single phase cut-out, meter and isolator (Electric Meter Boxes - Meter-boxes - https://tricel.co.uk/meter-boxes/electric-meter-boxes/):
1693838977779.png

If I'm reading this correctly, the old cupboard need to be replaced and this is inside your home?

In that case have a joiner build a cabinet that suits your requirements, but ensure that everything is fully accessible and I mean everything. Last thing you want is to have an electrical problem and the cupboard has to be pulled apart to gain access to fuse box, meter or cut out. Some joiners don't seem to understand this simple premise, so make sure they don't palm you off with small doors that limit access.

Also be aware that it's very likely there will be cables buried in the wall in the vicinity of your fusebox or behind any mounting board. Try to keep the joiner well clear of this area or the new cupboard may end up costing considerably more than anticipated.

"30Amp to 100"

Is this right? not 60 or 80 up to 100?.... Or have i missed something?
I might have it wrong, it is a very old cottage. The supply previously came into my house from the road and was then shared between us and adjoining neighbour. I thought the supply was previously 30amp but I may be wrong. Irrespective it was changed to 100amp

AFAIK that's not your cable, not your head, not your meter, probably not your cupboard. The cables coming out of the meter and the fuseboard are your property, but everything before that belongs to the DNO, the electricity network.

Whoever moves that is brave, and I'd expect the new position and enclosure will have to meet current regs. I rotated a mantel unit 180 degrees to face into an extension and that was a difficult, dangerous ball-ache. Unless you get the DNO to do it themselves, with a blank cheque and some time in the distant future.

AFAIK that's not your cable, not your head, not your meter, probably not your cupboard. The cables coming out of the meter and the fuseboard are your property, but everything before that belongs to the DNO, the electricity network.

Whoever moves that is brave, and I'd expect the new position and enclosure will have to meet current regs. I rotated a mantel unit 180 degrees to face into an extension and that was a difficult, dangerous ball-ache. Unless you get the DNO to do it themselves, with a blank cheque and some time in the distant future.
I don’t think the cable et al needs to be moved. It’s already been replaced, and OP just wants best way to box it in.

Early idea of a decent joiner, and big enough doors to allow full access…. #3

Thanks all for the replies. No cables need to be moved, a combination of the network engineers, Octopus contractors and our electrician updated the inbound cables, meter box and then fuseboard. We just now need to put it in something that looks nice :)

Reply to Cabinet for mains supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net