Discuss Cable prices increasing rapidly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Are we all facing the same problem of price hiking up of electrical cable? In this month alone start of 2021 the price has been changed twice. The first time wasn’t so bad it was by £2.00 the second time it was changed by a odd £6.00...

Any info on this?

Are prices likely to creep up even more? For the people who have been in the trade for over 20 years any experience with price hikes like we are now experiencing?

Is it due to COVID or Brexit ?

Will prices ever go back to “NORMAL” or is this the new normal

Would love to hear from you all and any tips of where and how to source cable in a matter of emergency’s.

It's the price of raw copper that's caused it, nothing to do with Brexit.
Almost doubled since last March

Copper prices.PNG

Well, very little of the world's copper is mined in Europe, ruling out Brexit.
USA and some South American countries have massive supplies.
We had a 'high' about 10 years ago....it is getting towards that again. Who knows the reasons for the markets?.......but some will be making millions.

CHECK ON SCRAP PRICES, EVERYONE!!!!
(or just ask tel, he'll know)?

Last edited:
It's the price of raw copper that's caused it, nothing to do with Brexit.
Almost doubled since last March

View attachment 63768
So technically the price change can and will move freely looking at the graph it looks like at one stage it did drop dramatically so it can drop back down which is a good thing but how likely is this... raw material is starting to get expensive hence price rise makes sense thanks for the graph

As with all of these things if a price rise happens due to exceptional circumstances and its absorbed by the customer when those circumstances change the price stays the same, living in cuckoo land if you think the price will come down IMO.

Price is rising due to demand.
Either there are more companies buying and using it or the producers can't keep up with the demand.
Covid may be a reason.
Here's the last 5 years, it doesn't look quite as bad compared to where it was previously.

Copper 5 years.PNG

Back in far forgotten past and when BICC used to set the trade prices on cables ,and when you had one cable discount off all booklet cables he would receive a new price list [booklet] every week or sometimes twice in a week.
I know the manager of my local wholesaler was told to stock up on cable a few months ago because prices were going up.
So nothing new in rapid cable increases as stated previously it depends on the cost of the raw material, back in the seventies it was down more to the price of oil.

As with all of these things if a price rise happens due to exceptional circumstances and its absorbed by the customer when those circumstances change the price stays the same, living in cuckoo land if you think the price will come down IMO.
This

Prides will continue to rise all the time people pay it ...

Hello Everyone

Are we all facing the same problem of price hiking up of electrical cable? In this month alone start of 2021 the price has been changed twice. The first time wasn’t so bad it was by £2.00 the second time it was changed by a odd £6.00...

Any info on this?

Are prices likely to creep up even more? For the people who have been in the trade for over 20 years any experience with price hikes like we are now experiencing?

Is it due to COVID or Brexit ?

Will prices ever go back to “NORMAL” or is this the new normal

Would love to hear from you all and any tips of where and how to source cable in a matter of emergency’s.
Upon further research it looks like prices will carry on going up because the demand has rocketed... so this year and the upcoming year will be hard but I believe it will get worser towards 2025 as the EU want to make car batteries and car charging points etc the mines were copper comes from are not up to standard to supply that much copper = increased prices

The demand is high in China at the moment as they are also doing the same as the EU right now so we can imagine having the EU doing what China is doing so I see more problems coming in the future...

The prices may remain high through out the year so it’s up to you how and when you purchase your cables but expect minor issues with pricing jobs... one day you’d walk in and it could be something and then next it’s gone up... it’s happened to me so I have put it out there

Prices can drop as proven by the chart but that’s when suppliers have too much stock available and only lasts short periods of time... but the price averages at the new “high” and does not drop by that much

I have also spoken to the manufacturers they said it’s due to the Raw Material price and they can’t make further comment on price changes
local wholesalers don’t make that much from cable as it is looking at the one I use only makes £3.00-£6.00 a roll after sale so it had me wondering whats going on pandemic isn’t playing a part in the price increase and Brexit is playing a minor part in the price increase due to port issues and slow down of delivery’s. Local wholesalers are experiencing a months wait on small quantity orders proven as I have rang a few and they all seem to say the same thing...

Not as bad as the period between 2004 and about 2007/8. I seem to remember we paid about £19 for 2.5 t and e at the start of that period and about £45-£50 at the peak.

Reply to Cable prices increasing rapidly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net