Discuss Cable Routing help required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You need your experienced mate all the way..

You may be desperate for work but this could be as complete and utter nightmare.

And if it's going to be a compete building site why don't you just recommend a compete rewire...It's probably for the best

I am not offended one bit, but I don't actually need to work at all so not desperate. I just want to work. I enjoy it and love to help people.

I have mentioned there may be a requirement for a complete rewire which may end up cheaper in the long run.

I do lots of work with two local electricians. For over a year now. I also work for myself but survive on basics.

This would have normally been classed as 'basic' when I agreed to help him. Now it seems there is a lot more to it and I appreciate all the comments. In a way, it is probably a good thing the bathroom is blocked off or I would have already got stuck in [blush]
I am struggling to stop my Avatar commenting, it might get him banned.

anycomment from ozzy should be treatedwith the respect it fu**in' deserves.

If you can't go from above, go from below, simples. Nice neat strips cut into the plasterboard will be a piece cake to sort, or overboard the ceiling, nice cheap job in the grand scheme of it. Get that ceiling opened. Leave the "tiny socket" as it is, cut both cables and take a loop over to your new socket, and join it back into the loop using 2 hager j803's (maintenance free junction boxes) taking the ring over there also allows for a spur for the fire should an electric fire ever be fitted

Well if you don't have to work but need to work but don't really know what you are doing (sorry it just seems a bit obvious), have you got a driving license? I bet you could get a job for the variety club or something like that? Ozzy says "better than ******** totalling some poor ******s house man?"

I do lots of work with two local electricians. For over a year now. I also work for myself but survive on basics.

This would have normally been classed as 'basic' when I agreed to help him. Now it seems there is a lot more to it and I appreciate all the comments. In a way, it is probably a good thing the bathroom is blocked off or I would have already got stuck in [blush]
Been surviving on basics for years.

With respect, would you not be better knocking this job on the head, and seeing if you can get some work with a local sparks as a mate? I know your friend is ill but if he is "going to change the CU" he should have done some basic tests first, 30 years exp or not. Even house bashing can be quite testing if you don't know your way around! You can't keep asking very basic questions every time you meet situations like this, you need to get some experience.
I think the OP was having a dig at me with regards to the 30 years experience, could be wrong though.

Reply to Cable Routing help required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net