Discuss Cable run to new consumer unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

9706 james

Hi All,

Just after some advice, I have been to a customer today and they are having there house renovated. There meter is getting moved to a external box due to floor plans changing, I am planning on running a 3 core 25mm SWA cable to the new consumer unit which is roughly 6 meters from the meter. My question is would I have to chase the cable into the kitchen floor or could I cleat it low level as the kitchen units will be fitted above the cable all the way to the consumer unit. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Jim

Nothing wrong with cleating it. But explain to the Customer what you are doing and inform them that should they ever change the layout of the kitchen this needs to be taken into account.

Burying the cable wouldn't be a problem neither as long as you connect the SWA to the MET as you then wouldn't need to install it on a RCD/ RCBO.

What are you expecting the max demand to be? If you have a 100amp bomb I would install and 80a isolator to provide some discrimination between the fuses. And go for 16mm 3 core.

.....once buried you would struggle with safe zones.

didnt realise the safe zones extended to the floor ???

;-)

Indeed they do not, which is why i suggest cleat direct. Even though the swa is suitable to buried outside of safe zones, in my opinion it is still dodgy when presented with a Paslode. In this instance where the option exists to go direct it makes most sense to me

Indeed they do not, which is why i suggest cleat direct. Even though the swa is suitable to buried outside of safe zones, in my opinion it is still dodgy when presented with a Paslode. In this instance where the option exists to go direct it makes most sense to me

I see what you're saying but safe zones don't come into it at all in this case - it would be in the floor!

Cleating to the wall is fine. Just be aware that most "built-in" appliances go hard up against the wall with a recess at the base for power/water. If there's a ruddy great cable in the way, the appliances will stick out proud of the units.

Could you not run 25mm tails and 16mm earth in YT4 trunking Just thought it may be easier than making off a 3 core 25 mm SWA into the CU will the earth bar take a 25mm cable ?

I see what you're saying but safe zones don't come into it at all in this case - it would be in the floor!

Haha i clearly didnt register that information, ,aking my point moot. My apologies

Reply to Cable run to new consumer unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net