Discuss Cables under floors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AA410

Hi all advice please i come across so many job were cables are just laid under floors that are not clipped is this good or bad ?:confused:

If you mean is it right or wrong than it's wrong, the cables must be adequately supported and installed in accordance with BS 7671:2008 and the building regulations regarding joist-hole depths and sizes etc.

Thats what i understand. i had a job to extend a ring main on the ground floor this week and all the cables are just laying on the sub floor. i have looked at reg 522.6.5, any more thoughts on this? in one way the cables are laying undisturbed on a cold sub floor?

maybe laying them like that is better than trying to clip them as they might be hanging off the few clips that you could get in. isnt it oklay to leave them lying there if access to clip them is difficult? when rewiring a house, you leave them lying under floors cos you cant lift all of the boards up.

I think reg 522.6.5 justfies laying cables unclipped under floorboards permitting it is ground level. First Level, they may be subject to screws or nails etc if ran across the ceilings unsupported

as far as the first level instalation method 101 and 100 Had a look at the guide to the building regs thermoplastic pvc above a plasterboard ceiling touching or clipped to joist ? and as for the rats or mice the regs say presence of fauna Were conditions experienced or expected is this for farm building as such not in domestic how do you Guys read this.

As far as Fauna reg 522.10 is the guide, I would suspect if you found droppings, or were installing somewhere that is likely to have an infestation you would take that into account and choose an erection method to deal with the enviroment.

Thats how i see the situation i was working in a loft some time ago and came across mice dropping but no singes of cable damage so back to my first post have you guys come across many houses were cables have cable damage from cables laid under floors ?

problem arises on a rewire. cables fished under a floor. do you take up every 3rd board so as to clip according to regs. or just clip where you have got the boards up at each side of the room . not much chance if them being nailed from below through an existing ceiling, and if just lying on the ceiling, the cables would just get pushed aside be the nail/s.

problem arises on a rewire. cables fished under a floor. do you take up every 3rd board so as to clip according to regs. or just clip where you have got the boards up at each side of the room . not much chance if them being nailed from below through an existing ceiling, and if just lying on the ceiling, the cables would just get pushed aside be the nail/s.
Rewiring just like that now telex. Just clipping where I can but TBH there will be some on the sub floor. What do others here do?
Regards, Dave.

Rewiring just like that now telex. Just clipping where I can but TBH there will be some on the sub floor. What do others here do?
Regards, Dave.

The regs are non statatory witch means none are absolute, so that can only mean that the reg can be taken as "where practicable"

Lets face it, no one is going to stand you pulling up most of the livingroom floor becase you need to get a few more clips in.

Reply to Cables under floors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net