Discuss Cabling for Sky TV in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chloebear

Hi All,

Is there a "standard" number of cables that get installed for a Sky TV installation. Seems that some have one cable, some have 2 or even 3.
I have a very large house to cable up and part of the requirement is for Sky Tv in sevral locations, of course the client hasno idea of what they will require or how it will work.
Any sugestions would be great.:confused:

Hi All,

Is there a "standard" number of cables that get installed for a Sky TV installation. Seems that some have one cable, some have 2 or even 3.
I have a very large house to cable up and part of the requirement is for Sky Tv in sevral locations, of course the client hasno idea of what they will require or how it will work.
Any sugestions would be great.:confused:

Loads of information and equipment here Satcure satellite dish LNBs digital TV aerial information

The sky installer will cable the quickest and shortest route which often is not the best on the eye! I installed two shotgun cables to the dish ready terminated (two coax cables bonded together) one to the sky + reciever, the other left in the loft ready for future expansion, the dish LNB had 4 outlets which I had him connect to. (all ports used)

The cable they use is poo, I found it better all round to install the cable yourself and just have them to tune in and screw the F connector on.

Ian

Three main ways to do distribution for this. You can either use a quatro (not quad) lnb and a switch. You then drop a feed (or two for sky+) to each room. That enables each room to tune to it's own channel. A similar alternative is to use a dual, tripple or quad lnb outlet from the dish (with similar flexibility on channel choice). The other alternative is to pipe the RF signal (post tuning from the digibox) around the house but that means all rooms would be watching the same channel.

Ahh a question in my expertise ;) run a MINIMUM of 2 to each rome that they will have a TV in, to the main living room set run MIN 4, also keep the coax well away from everything else, don't use cheap aluminium foil coax either as it will give you problems, use a WF100 as this good quality and not copper coated steel like the cheap stuff.

You can never have to many cables to a TV point, so so so many times Sparkies run a single cabe to a TV point, these days people expect Sky+/HD plus aerial down and return.

its even worth running a Cat 5 to the main point as well.

and my final thing

DO NOT Join cables, the times i find problems due to using a choch block to join two coax's :mad:

the brother inlaw (him with wads of cash) was askin me about sky Hes wanting a box in every room normal in kiods rooms 3no HD in living room bed room office and spare room n normal sky+in the "summer room" (shed to you n me)

just wondwered if I took 4 feeds from his LNB could I split each to create the 13 feeds i recon I require? or is their a splitter thingggy to do this in one block?

Reply to Cabling for Sky TV in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net