Discuss Calibration for MF tester- How much!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I paid 70 in Belfast for a 1652 Fluke and the mad thing is I have only used it twice since May FFS. The price you pay to sleep at night lol! But then again my job pays the bills lol!

If you want to remain compliant lol. Only way you can prove your test instrument is 100% accurate and test results are sound ! Even tho I seldom use my gear it will always remain in calibration in case the brown stuff stuff comes into question on any of installations I do test and inspect You spend enough on your car/van, so why not your livelihood?

as i understood as long as your test equipment is in calibration when you start is exceptable to use a self check box and keep records of the results rather than annual recalibration

I purchased a 1730 mft a few months ago and the actual certificate of callibration megger gave expired in december 2012, I contacted test meter uk and they said my year of calibration starts from the date I first use the tester is this correct as I am looking to join a part p scheme soon and dont want this to trip me up?

I purchased a 1730 mft a few months ago and the actual certificate of callibration megger gave expired in december 2012, I contacted test meter uk and they said my year of calibration starts from the date I first use the tester is this correct as I am looking to join a part p scheme soon and dont want this to trip me up?

When I joined ELECSA a couple of years ago, my assessor said the same, that he'd put down my new KT64 as being due calibration 1 year from the invoice date (he did want to see the invoice to check). I can't speak for other schemes though.

Megger calibration certificates and UKAS calibration certificates do not give an expire date

Megger calibration certificates have a box next to Date Commissioned which you fill in when you start using the meter .

Their is no expire date on UKAS certificates as the Lab does not know how many times the meter has been used , the conditions,etc.

Most non UKAS labs certificates give a recall date of one year after calibration.

a one year calibration interval is only a recommendation however most schemes want it

I get my MFT done every year for £60.00+vat. It's through my wholesaler who have someone come in once a year so I can drop it off and pick it up the same day. SELECT up here in Scotland require test equipment calibrated every two years.

Megger calibration certificates and UKAS calibration certificates do not give an expire date

Megger calibration certificates have a box next to Date Commissioned which you fill in when you start using the meter .

Their is no expire date on UKAS certificates as the Lab does not know how many times the meter has been used , the conditions,etc.

Most non UKAS labs certificates give a recall date of one year after calibration.

a one year calibration interval is only a recommendation however most schemes want it

yeah I realise now it was date of commisioning dec 2012 thanks for reply

now..

it would all depend on how many instruments you are using...

so, for instance i use 3 MFTs...plus seperates ...as i sees fit..

i have a checkbox...this i can use to verify month by month any measuring instruments...so if there are any anomalies the instrument can be taken out of service until either repair or replacement ...and the NIC like to see that you are keeping month by month records of instrument accuracy..

the way i do it generally is get the MFTs put through the callibration house...these can then be used to prove the checkbox is applying correct resistances etc at the test plugs...

the other kit can then be put on the checkbox to verify continuing accuracy levels within the instruments tolerances...

so, just because you have reams & reams of test gear (like me...lol) dont necessarily mean a hefty cal bill every year...

sometimes a decent, comprehensive checkbox just makes more sense...

+1 foir Glenn's monthly cross check of everything against an instrument freshly stickered at the cal service. It's a matter of common sense which units are the most likely suspects. An instrument sat on a shelf in a warm dry office and used once a week is less likely to go out of calibration or develop a fault than one rattling around in the back of a van, used 8 hours a day, sometimes in the rain etc. The idea of using something for a year without checking against anything else is daft, imagine the workload if you discovered that every test you had done in the last 12 months was invalid! So, if you have two units, and you get them done alternately but cross-check regularly you halve the overall cost of calibration but get a better level of security in your readings.

+1 foir Glenn's monthly cross check of everything against an instrument freshly stickered at the cal service. It's a matter of common sense which units are the most likely suspects. An instrument sat on a shelf in a warm dry office and used once a week is less likely to go out of calibration or develop a fault than one rattling around in the back of a van, used 8 hours a day, sometimes in the rain etc. The idea of using something for a year without checking against anything else is daft, imagine the workload if you discovered that every test you had done in the last 12 months was invalid! So, if you have two units, and you get them done alternately but cross-check regularly you halve the overall cost of calibration but get a better level of security in your readings.
quite rite Lucien...

i mean...why wouldn`t you keep an ongoing check on instruments?...after all, the values obtained by it/them are the ones going on the certs...

Thanks to all for comments and all the useful information. Last year I was forced to join a scheme, and I chose Elecsa. My Kewtech KT64 hadn't been calibrated since I purchased it (2007). I did however check it, and also my digital MM against my Kewtech FC1000 checkbox. As the results were always within a few percent I never saw the need for calibration.

However, the Elecsa assessor saw it differently. Although accepted by Elecsa I was given a non compliance with 30 days to correct. He was prepared to accept a 3 year calibration of the checkbox, which with hindsight I guessis is entirely reasonable, and I would have to keep monthly records. In fact I test my instruments before each job, so better than the monthly check. I also keep the checkbox and the test instruments at home whilst not testing to protect them from the harsh environment of of the van and site.

Personally I feel that if you have 3 instruments that give agreeable readings that a 5 year gap seems more reasonable, because calibration adds yet another cost to our work.

Like Graham I chose to get my checkbox calibrated at PJO Industrial and I can't praise their service enough. I chose a week where I was on the same site for a whole week. On the Monday the checkbox was collected by their courier and returned on the Wednesday calibrated and certified. What I particularly liked was that I didn't have to go home and see one of those infernal post office red cards and waste time going to the parcel collection office to pick up the item. The complete service cost £41 including VAT. This also included a repair to a 12V DMM socket(which I never used) that had ceased to function, and at no extra cost.

PJO advertise their service on ebay Electrical Calibration Service Megger, Fluke Etc Fast Collection & Delivery | eBay and I see the cost is now £46 inc VAT. Anyway thanks to all for the input...and a great forum which although not a contributor (till now) I have read for many years. As a sole trader you can become a bit insulated from information so it's always great to read every bodies experiences which really adds to my knowledge base. Happy New Year to all!!! Pete

Reply to Calibration for MF tester- How much!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net