Discuss Can anyone advise, feel a little silly and ignorant today in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JL_Electrical

Here is my situation, I'm 26 years old and been self-employed for four years. I'm an NICEIC approved contractor. Upon my renewal in March this year I asked my area engineer if it was a wise move for me to go and do the PV course. His reply was if I had £1000 to invest in the business, there were better ways of doing it than PV. I never gave it much thought and carried on as normal. One of my customers is a large plumbing and heating contractor who do masses of housing association heating installs and servicing. They employ two electricians but use my company when they are busy, which is fairly reguarly. One of their electricians had a quiet word in my ear that it would be well worth my while to take the PV course as they were going into renewables in a big way, this coupled with rumours coming from another customer of mine (a large building contractor) who have supposedly won a large PV contract with another buidling contractor (even though they are not MCS accredited or don't to date have any of their operatives PV qualified) I started seriously thinking about the course. I then spoke with a small private building firm that I do rewires, the odd new build etc for, mainly for high end properties and developers. He told me that customers keep asking him about it and that he'd be interested in doing the roofing side etc. Following all this, I booked and paid in full for my C&G course on Nov 14th. Then this afternoon whilst merrily working away, thinking how rich I'm going to become, I hear the changes to the feed in tarriff and the effects it will have on the industry.
I feel rather stupid becuase evidently these changes have been on the horizon for a while. Being a one man band and quite busy of late I literally haven't had too much time to follow industry news. I'm at a transitional period in business, due to picking up a shed load of subby work. Going to have to go Ltd and probably register for VAT, 90% sure I've just picked up a large (for me) contract.

Can somebody please advise in simple terms whether PV is a dead duck and whether I should get on the phone in the morning and get my money back? I've spoke to my area engineer again today, and he was of the opinion that it will still go on for the likes of housing association work etc, but not so much any more for private. He also said "but if you've paid the money and can afford it, then you should do it. You'll quite enjoy it" To be honest enjoyment was not my aim haha.

Thanks in advance

Your call mate, PV isnt dead, its just flat lined for a while untill it can find a pulse again, Renewable isnt going away and once the suppliers drop the price becuase no one is buying it will start to beat again. I would save your bag of sand for a few months at least - training will be much cheaper int he new year.

I am in a similar situation, NICEIC approved & sole trader, Ive just finished the NIC PV course & was about to book up for the QM course, have spoken to my prospective clients who have obviously changed their minds about having systems fitted.
I think the only thing to do is sit it out & see what happens to the prices of the kit.

If you can get your money I would do that.
Bank it and do the course when you are slack or when the dust settles on FIT
If you can't get your money do the course it will be useful at some time

it's a dead duck, at least for a year or so. don't rely on kit prices coming down much, the UK is a small player in the world PV market. our woes won't have that dramatic effect when there are plenty of other more elightened countries around

Reply to Can anyone advise, feel a little silly and ignorant today in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net