Discuss Can anyone advise me if this Solar Briefcase is safe to charge android/iphones with. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mookcomp

Hey everyone,

First off, may I apologise for jumping into your forum for a somewhat newbie question.

Myself and my partner work at music festivals throughout the year, we do henna tattoos, so after the sun goes down we close. This means we never pay for an electricity supply with our pitch. Now as we've all got android or iphone mobiles now, they constantly go flat by the second day.

My first thought was a solar system, I've been tempted to rig up my own, but saw a friend using one of the maplin ones the other day to power his camper.

13W Solar Briefcase : Solar Briefcase Generator : Maplin Electronics
(there's a spec sheet under 'downloads' on the left hand side)

We don't have a van at the moment, so no leisure battery either. Now I'm wondering if I was to purchase this... Am I correct in thinking that I could just plug a 'cigarette lighter to usb' plug into the cigarette lighter socket it comes with, switch it to 12v supply and then charge my phone via usb?

I've only just managed to afford a smartphone so I thought I'd seek some advice before accidentally frying it. I assume the ciglighter>usb things have a built in 12v > 5v converter.

I do hope I've kept to the regulations of the forums.

Many thanks,
mook

Re: Can anyone advise me if this Solar Briefcase is safe to charge android/iphones wi

It looks like it should work but assuming you'll have mains access every 4 or 5 days or so also think about something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-13000mAh-External-Battery-Charger/dp/B00BQ5KHJW/ref=pd_cp_ce_3 between that and optimising your smartphone's battery life (turn off wifi and Bluetooth and turn the phone off when you go to sleep) you should be fine for quite some number of days.

Re: Can anyone advise me if this Solar Briefcase is safe to charge android/iphones wi

I wouldn't trust it,I used maplin solar panels before and unless they are in really strong light they are useless,why not get one of those rechargeable booster packs they use for cars? not too expensive and would run your phone for over a week.

Phil, do you know what is inside those booster packs?

Hey everyone,

First off, may I apologise for jumping into your forum for a somewhat newbie question.

Myself and my partner work at music festivals throughout the year, we do henna tattoos, so after the sun goes down we close. This means we never pay for an electricity supply with our pitch. Now as we've all got android or iphone mobiles now, they constantly go flat by the second day.

My first thought was a solar system, I've been tempted to rig up my own, but saw a friend using one of the maplin ones the other day to power his camper.

13W Solar Briefcase : Solar Briefcase Generator : Maplin Electronics
(there's a spec sheet under 'downloads' on the left hand side)

We don't have a van at the moment, so no leisure battery either. Now I'm wondering if I was to purchase this... Am I correct in thinking that I could just plug a 'cigarette lighter to usb' plug into the cigarette lighter socket it comes with, switch it to 12v supply and then charge my phone via usb?

I've only just managed to afford a smartphone so I thought I'd seek some advice before accidentally frying it. I assume the ciglighter>usb things have a built in 12v > 5v converter.

I do hope I've kept to the regulations of the forums.

Many thanks,
mook
i could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you. better off getting an inverter.

Phil, do you know what is inside those booster packs?
yes usually a 7Ah gel battery or bigger depending on the unit,I made a unit up for a mate with a 17Ah he goes fishing for a week at a time and it charges all his gear,phone,tablet etc no problem.

The reason I asked was why not just get a car battery (or Gel) connect it to a cigarette lighter, then use a car charging lead to charge the phone, Simples..
And surely the cheapest option for the OP??

Reply to Can anyone advise me if this Solar Briefcase is safe to charge android/iphones with. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net