Discuss Can i use 6mm twin and earth with wago 5 way to wire up a double plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ak247fox

DIY
Reaction score
I had to replace a surface plug socket box after the plasterer destroyed the old stuff.

It has black, red and earth wire, 3 of each and look quite thick (the earth wire looks like it should be used for barb wire abd isn't covered)

Sticking all of that into a new faceplate isn't working so well and there's not much slack

Can i put the 3 wires of each type into separate wago connectors and have 1 6mm wire go to the faceplate from the 3 wagos

The fuse seems to be 32amp mcb

Thanks for the help

Sounds like a standard 2.5mm rfc with a spur coming off…. Or could it be a mid point of a 4mm radial circuit with a branch off?

Either way, it should be ok to get 3 of each into the socket… although some sockets may have smaller terminal openings which might be where the issue is here.

Using Wagos in the back of the box would work, but some would argue it’s two spurs off at the same point…

And make sure the bare earths are sleeved in green/yellow, separately.

If the cable is actually 2.5 or 4.0, not 6.0, why not use one of MK's finest 🤪 The 'Wago's' are already there!

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-lo...itched-socket-white-with-white-inserts/814PH?

Thanks for the info, the cables don't look 2.5mm and the fuse downstairs says 32 on it and all the wires are in the cavity or under the floor from what i can see in the wall.

The faceplate for the plug i have is a specific color so can't get a nice fancy one like you linked unfortunately, which is why i was going down this wago route and picking a thick cable to ensure it can handle whatever happens.

If my thinking is correct then great, ive learned something new. (If someone could doubly confirm that would be great)

Time to go find what spur means and radial circuit

Thanks for the info, the cables don't look 2.5mm and the fuse downstairs says 32 on it and all the wires are in the cavity or under the floor from what i can see in the wall.

The faceplate for the plug i have is a specific color so can't get a nice fancy one like you linked unfortunately, which is why i was going down this wago route and picking a thick cable to ensure it can handle whatever happens.

If my thinking is correct then great, ive learned something new. (If someone could doubly confirm that would be great)

Time to go find what spur means and radial circuit
It is normal to have a 32A breaker on a 2.5 ring final circuit, which is likely (but not guaranteed) to be what you have.
But I would be very surprised if the cables you have are actually 6.0. Could you tell us either the diameter of the copper, (L or N) or the overall width of the grey sheath?

You can use Wago's if you wish, but you only need to use 2.5^mm cable to wire the socket to the Wago, because the load you can plug into the socket is limited. (the 13A fuses in the plugs take care of that!)

PS you need to put some green/yellow sleeving on the bare earth wires Edit - sorry -that's been mentioned by littlespark already!

Last edited:
I have sleeve for the earth (100m of 6mm was the smallest amount i could get)

Theres a pic of another socket thats about the same (except the other has no blue or brown)

Attachments

• 20230824_120041.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 23
I have sleeve for the earth (100m of 6mm was the smallest amount i could get)
it's a pain when that's the only option. I'm near a real old skool hardware shop (most of which have now gone) which has a vast range of stuff, and for cables/sleeving etc you can chop off the length you need and just pay for that.
Theres a pic of another socket thats about the same (except the other has no blue or brown)
From the pic I'm thinking the cable in new colours (which has sleeving on the earth) is 2.5, but not sure about the red/black.

I don't understand what I'm seeing at the ends of the red cable, as there are shiny strands of what I assume are tinned copper wire (could poss be aluminum?), but as well some dark copper burned looking thicker gauge strands that aren't anything to do with the brown cable. Is the dark stuff what's in the red cable? I guess it's imperial size!

I'd be inclined to take the L wires out and see what you've got, cut off damaged ends, strip the appropriate length for the terminal, make all the strands straight and parallel and see if they will push into the terminal of your new socket. I've never been a believer of twisting wires together before you put them into a terminal, they should just slide in!! Assuming the terminal is big enough🤔

Otherwise go the Wago route, but I'm concerned you may not have room to dress the cables in.

Ill get another picture of the actual socket and clean/straighten/strip some of the existing cable and show what i do with the wago. If it fits then all cool and confirmation from here would be good.

But you can also see what the existing cables are and possibly shed some light on what type of cable they actually are for future reference.

This socket that I'm working on should be a spur from what i know, theres no other sockets on that side of the room. Just seems to have a lot of cables for no reason, considering the plug all the way to the left, which is in the picture also has a bunch of cables and a spur coming off it for a socket that sits literally next to it.

Odd wiring in this house

Ill get another picture of the actual socket and clean/straighten/strip some of the existing cable and show what i do with the wago. If it fits then all cool and confirmation from here would be good.
As long as you strip the wires to the right length, they are clean, and you give a bit of a "tug test" in the Wago to make sure they are seated, all should be well.
But you can also see what the existing cables are and possibly shed some light on what type of cable they actually are for future reference.
I'm no expert on older cables, but I would say date is 50's to late 60's. Hopefully someone who knows might be along.
I'm assuming they are tinned stranded copper, with polythene insulation, but will be clearer when you tidy them up!
This socket that I'm working on should be a spur from what i know, theres no other sockets on that side of the room. Just seems to have a lot of cables for no reason, considering the plug all the way to the left, which is in the picture also has a bunch of cables and a spur coming off it for a socket that sits literally next to it.
You could always disconnect the brown/blue cable and see what stops working!
Be careful though - there's a tiny chance that's where the power is coming from!!
Odd wiring in this house
Now's a chance to 'even' it up 😂
sorry!

Reply to Can i use 6mm twin and earth with wago 5 way to wire up a double plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net