Discuss Can Plug Sockets for Dishwasher and Washing Machine be Placed in Under-sink Cupboard? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Back to the op, make a point of meeting the spark and getting his card so you know to find him later....

I always prefer to meet the client early on and always leave them my card.
Don't think I will get the chance to meet the Electrician now but my builder says he has the certificate from him so I assume his details will be on that, is that correct?

Yes all the electricians details will be on the electrical installation certificate, just to add to the other posts there's nothing wrong with fitting a socket outlet in a base unit under the sink , think of an electric shower for example where water and electricity are in very close proximity. I tend to fit such sockets on the side panels and near the front of the cupboard to make accessibility easier and reduce the chance of them being accidentally switched off by bits and pieces rammed into the cupboard.

Don't think I will get the chance to meet the Electrician now but my builder says he has the certificate from him so I assume his details will be on that, is that correct?

Hum.... I looked at your previous thread and is this socket the one where the cable was run behind the skirting board?

and if so, its in the wall, and as the kitchen is not yet fitted, does the builder plan to leave the back off the the base unit? That's going to look pants!

Hum.... I looked at your previous thread and is this socket the one where the cable was run behind the skirting board?

and if so, its in the wall, and as the kitchen is not yet fitted, does the builder plan to leave the back off the the base unit? That's going to look pants!
Hi, he's left a loop of wire which he says will be for a double socket to be placed in the back of the base unit, so think this is OK. Thanks for spotting this.

Hi, he's left a loop of wire which he says will be for a double socket to be placed in the back of the base unit, so think this is OK. Thanks for spotting this.

In which case the electrics are NOT complete and therefore I would question the fact the builder says he has the "certificate(s)"

In which case the electrics are NOT complete and therefore I would question the fact the builder says he has the "certificate(s)"
Ah, he did say that because the wire has been left in a loop he was able to get certificate for it and had it been cut he wouldn't.

I suppose that whoever I get to install the kitchen will have to cut the loop, attach it to plug socket and mount in the cupboard. Would it then just be a case of the Electrician who does this self-certifying that all is OK with his work and because the work done previously to this has certificate all is OK?

The circuit needs testing and certifying after ALL work on it is complete. Daz

The circuit needs testing and certifying after ALL work on it is complete. Daz
I think his thinking is that as is a loop it could technically be left like that and so even though need aforementioned plug socket/s added, I suppose at later date now, it is complete in a way and so certificate has been done. Does this make sense/is a technical way of getting round this?

I think his thinking is that as is a loop it could technically be left like that and so even though need aforementioned plug socket/s added, I suppose at later date now, it is complete in a way and so certificate has been done. Does this make sense/is a technical way of getting round this?
He could, but then the new electrician would need to complete a minor works cert to add the new socket.

PS but a lot of electricians would just put in the new socket on that loop, probably with no cert ;)

Last edited:

Reply to Can Plug Sockets for Dishwasher and Washing Machine be Placed in Under-sink Cupboard? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net