Discuss Can some one please help me understand what iv singed myself onto? please :( ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DougGlen

Hi,

I had joined the access 2 trade professional electrician course just before they went bust ; and now thanks to barleys i am with OLCI (of which iv only heard bad things about which is worrying)

so i should hopefully eventually get :

EAL Applicable Building Regulations for Domestic Electrical Installation (part P) certificate

C&G level 2 certificate in fundamental inspection, testing and initial verification (2392-10)

C&G level 3 certificate in the requirements for electrical installations (2382-10)

C&G level 3 certificate for In-Service Inspection and testing of electrical equipment (2377)

C&G level 3 certificate in the certification of electrical Installations (inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations) (2391-10)

Solar Photovoltaic certificate

what will these enable me to actually do??

I really have no idea about anything to do with being an electrician and now feel like a bit of an idiot being stuck on this course and not even knowing what and if i can get a job out of it? its costing me around £115 a month for 5 years?!

and im not even doing C&G 2330 im told by olci now since i called them today to ask them what workshop i should book next? (i have only done the basic one so far).

do i need 2330?

I had finished school did not want to go to uni and instead wanted to do something more practical that didn't involve going out and partying all the time getting into loads of debt... so i went for an electrical course that said i could become an electrician and get a job , they would even find me one!

and now im not even sure if what i have paid for could get me one? I feel like iv been taken advantage of :(

if any one could tell me what other certificates i will need? or when i could start working in an electrical company to gain some experience (instead of working in the cafe i do now) i would be very grateful.

many thanks to who ever replys even if its to tell me iv paid lots of money for something that wont get me any where!

Douglas Glen

Not sure about the EAL stuff. I did my 17th with them a bit ago - many raised eye-brows. Pass mark was raised after we did the course, mate of mine ended up failing the course and subsequently being released from employment for not achieving it (he was an older lad I hasten to point out - but a VERY capable sparks). People seem to prefer (I stand to be corrected on this) C&G.

It's changing at the end of the month if you haven't registered before 31st march.

But as of now to become a JIB graded electrician you need to achieve the following

C & G 2330 Level 2 & 3
C & G 2356 NVQ level 3
17th Edition 2382

Hope this helps!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

if youve only recently left school mate, then get yourself an apprenticeship. please dont throw your money at these courses, as you need experience on site. you do need the city and guilds technical cert and the NVQ3 mate, if you want to be able to do all types of electrical work, and hence increase your chances of getting work. good luck in whatever you decide

if youve only recently left school mate, then get yourself an apprenticeship. please dont throw your money at these courses, as you need experience on site. you do need the city and guilds technical cert and the NVQ3 mate, if you want to be able to do all types of electrical work, and hence increase your chances of getting work. good luck in whatever you decide

Never a truer word.

so i guess i will have to do C&G 2330 at some point then. and iv already singed up ages ago :( , i guess ill have to get some experience somewhere one way or another . any one got any ideas on how i could ?

and so what EXACTLY will i need to get some experiance,

and then what exactly will i need to become fully qualified?

sorry im probably asking stupid questions :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I answered this in my first reply.

see i said i was asking stupid questions, sorry!

so, with the qualifications im getting from this dammed course iv sadly got stuck to , could i get a job?

and if i need experience to get some of these C&G and NVQ's , where could i get it?

do you think i could just apply for some jobs?

how did you guys start??

thanks again by the way :)

I'm not sure what you could get with those quals but to be graded as electrician you need what I listed earlier.

It's very hard in the industry at the moment but you just have to keep applying to firms. Can you not do an apprenticeship?

Usually better if you know someone who works in the trade i.e family/friend who could recommend you.

Reply to Can some one please help me understand what iv singed myself onto? please :( ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net