Discuss Caravan charging point / 16A Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You wouldn't have a problem connecting an extension cable from your garage to charge the car battery though would you???? Same principle, just 2 more wheels :) Daz

If the charger output is SELV then no problem.

The problem of adding a PME 16A fixed socket to supply the caravan is a different proposition altogether.

It is one thing to do something against the regs for yourself, quite another to do it for a paying customer and leaving a paper trail, it is all about providing something that is safe and covering yourself and your backside at the same time. lol

Last edited:
There's still the 240V mains cable draped over the bonnet and into the engine compartment.

ESQCR prohibits the supply of a PME to a Caravan, but how many caravan owners no what Earthing arrangement they have or whether its acceptable, i am sure many send a extension lead out from a PME Supply with no issues, there is always the exception though.

Chris

If the charger output is SELV then no problem.

The problem of adding a PME 16A fixed socket to supply the caravan is a different proposition altogether.

It is one thing to do something against the regs for yourself, quite another to do it for a paying customer and leaving a paper trail, it is all about providing something that is safe and covering yourself backside at the same time. lol

Yes but I'm saying I wouldn't bother with a dedicated 16A socket for a caravan. Daz

Is this just a socket on someones house so they can plug the van in for 24 hours to charge the battery before going away for the weekend camping?

Yes it is

- - - Updated - - -

UKsparks,

What you do is entirely up to you, we can only advise where you stand wrt regs, and why it is not a good idea to use the PME system earth for a caravan, whether it is in a park or the garden.

TT an TN-S supplies are no problem, it is only TNC-S/PME which gives problems on this type of install

Yes, you segregate the earths. here are the various drawings, although these are for full caravan pitches, the same principle applies to a single socket, Drawing 02 is the nearest one for your single socket, I have just included the others for information.

Thank you.

Reply to Caravan charging point / 16A Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net