Discuss Ceiling lighting advice for novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Connect from wago to first light, Connect a new length from first light to second light and so on.

Got you, thank you so much for all your help, I really do appreciate it. Any particular wire I should use? and any wago box you would recommend for the job?

I also appreciate your concern.

I see, thank you for clarification. I understand. Thank you.

Because this is a forum for sparks to help sparks ..... not to give away trade skills FOC to DIYers ....

Okay, but personally I think that's ridiculous. You have a DIY section. What you are basically saying is we can help but not really, as you want DIY'ers to get an electrician in. I understand that from a H&S point of view, you need to be VERY careful, but I can't buy into what you said at all. Its not for sparks to sparks if you have a DIY section and all info in here is FOC, that's the point?

I really do appreciate the help that was given to me here, but if that is really the forum rules, I will search for future advice elsewhere. Thank you again to 'mr2' gd4u.

Okay, but personally I think that's ridiculous. You have a DIY section. What you are basically saying is we can help but not really, as you want DIY'ers to get an electrician in. I understand that from a H&S point of view, you need to be VERY careful, but I can't buy into what you said at all. Its not for sparks to sparks if you have a DIY section and all info in here is FOC, that's the point?

I really do appreciate the help that was given to me here, but if that is really the forum rules, I will search for future advice elsewhere. Thank you again to 'mr2' gd4u.

Some DIYers have good knowledge of electrics, how to wire up equipment and what wire to use. They sometimes need clarification on certain things. We can help out there.
You seem to have none of the above, so it's best to suggest you get someone in who can do the job properly and test it afterwards.
If you need step-by-step advice then it is best if you "search for future advice elsewhere." Good luck with the lights mate.

I’d frame it and board it with plasterboard MDF is probably not a good idea on a kitchen ceiling or any ceiling for that matter. Now on to the downlights nice maintenance free JB at the original lighting point above the new false ceiling and then loop to the spots. But for the price of a spark is it worth putting your family in danger by wiring it up yourself? Get a spark in, you can save dough and run the cables in but get him/her to connect it up and test it piece of mind is worth much much more than a few bob saved.

The simple answer as to why you need a spark is there is a lot more to wiring lights than meets the eye. A spark spends on average 4-5 years learning his/her trade and for good reason there are many regulations, which exist to keep everyone and everything safe, which must be complied with and there are many things which must be inspected and checked/tested before the circuit is even designed(even a little addition like this) then the circuit has to be designed, making sure that it won’t impair the safety of the existing installation,taking into account the current carrying capacity of the cable which can also be affected by many different external factors for example what type of wall/ceiling it is buried/concealed in in if at all or if it’s clipped direct on a wall/ceiling and then there is the selection of the breaker(fuse) to make sure the cable won’t melt and start a fire under normal and fault conditions the breaking capacity of the breaker to make sure that it won’t explode during a fault and that the earthing to the building is sound and fit for purpose. And the final testing to ensure that the circuit is safe and won’t electrocute your nearest and dearest, fit for purpose and will disconnect within the prescribed times specified by the requirements.
This is by no means an exhaustive list and there are thousands of requirements that have to be met even for small alterations or additions and it is really the reason that you should get a qualified, competent electrician to carry out electrical work as they should have a sound knowledge of the requirements and these things are second nature to a competent spark and can be carried out very quickly and efficiently the thing that you pay for with a spark is not really the finished product. In this case a couple of wires and a spotlight but it’s the knowledge and work that has went on in the background to get that far and then the finished product. So in reality looking at it from this point of view sparks are really really excellent value for money.

Why not liase the work with an Electrician Tony? you do the wood work etc and the Sparks can do the wiring, test, inspect and certify, it's a Forum rule not to give step by step advice for electrical work, best advice get a sparky to do the electrical work.

I'd remove the current plasterboard ceiling, or sections of, or drill 100mm access wholes; drill necessary wholes in ceiling to facilitate installation of additional wiring.

At this point employ a competent electrician to install cabling.

Then reinstate plasterboard, section(s) of plasterboard or access circles, noting location of wiring for each down light.

At this point employ a recommended plaster to blue grit, tape (you can do that bit yourself) & skim the ceiling. Then paint the ceiling yourself, before or after cutting holes for new down lights.

Then get your electrician back to test & install new down lights. Removing the plasterboard also helps in locating the down lights away from obstacles in the ceiling void, such as wooden noggins or pipes or other services.

Alternately, you could install track lighting, as suggested. I did this in my own new property, where I was banned by her indoors, doing the above. I used some Philips Hue lighting to switch on different spots & pendants. It was rather pricy, but save chopping the ceiling about.

:)

Reply to Ceiling lighting advice for novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net