Discuss Changes in the 17th edition.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

where compliance with this regulation by an rcd the disconnection times
in accordance with table 41.1 relate to prospective residual fault currents
higher than the rated residual operating current of the rcd
(typically 2 IAn)
just got my head round this checked my meter was capable of 2x rcd
test thought thats what meant
this has now been amended and removed iet site has the list of amendments
bought the book passed the exam and i am out of date already

where compliance with this regulation by an rcd the disconnection times
in accordance with table 41.1 relate to prospective residual fault currents
higher than the rated residual operating current of the rcd
(typically 2 IAn)
just got my head round this checked my meter was capable of 2x rcd
test thought thats what meant
this has now been amended and removed iet site has the list of amendments
bought the book passed the exam and i am out of date already

it has not been ammended

If it had we would now be working to BS7671:2008 ammended to 2008 or something

It has been corrigendumed

silly boy:p:p

it has not been ammended

If it had we would now be working to BS7671:2008 ammended to 2008 or something

It has been corrigendumed

silly boy:p:p
it was late could not spell corrigendumed but i think you got my drift

my mum god rest her told me son never use a word you cant spell
i dont say much these days

Last edited:
Hi Cirrus, Hi every one. Nice to be back after a long time. Family reasons.

Last time I complained about paying £65 for the red book everyone called me a tight *******/git!! Is there anyway that I can just have the updates to correlate with the brown book. Would be far sensible if this document could be looseleaf which could be updated as the regulations change rather than being produced in book form which must be purchased at vast expense!

Hi Darius, you don't pay for printing the book, because that costs pennies, you pay for the author rights, if they only wanted to make it cheaper they would publish it on the internet, so anybody could print it and have it next day on site, you get thicker books with better quality paper for 20 quid. It only costs £65 because the knew it was going to be a bestseller this year, so why give up the profit, all sparks are used to paying that much for a book anyway

hi guys an gals
what's phase sequencing about?
big al

presumably you mean the requirement to verify that the phase sequence is maintained?

dont know what level you are at (so i will assume you dont know)

in a three phase sytem, each phase is angularly 120 degrees apart. the order that these phases 'peak' in (their waveforms) is the phase sequence

in old money, this was conventionally Red-Yellow-Blue, or L1, L2 L3.

The requirement is to verify that if it starts in that order it should finish in that order, with the main problem of motors running in reverse DOR if it doesnt.

Thanks for getting back guys
Context is 2 fold: 1) PIR certificate askes for 'verification of phase sequence' What's the test process for this?. 2) reg 612.12: 'For multiphase circuits, it shall be verified that the phase sequence is maintained'? Is this a good enough explanation?
Cheers in anticipation of your replies.
big al

Thanks for getting back guys
Context is 2 fold: 1) PIR certificate askes for 'verification of phase sequence' What's the test process for this?. 2) reg 612.12: 'For multiphase circuits, it shall be verified that the phase sequence is maintained'? Is this a good enough explanation?
Cheers in anticipation of your replies.
big al

common mis-conception Big Al, it says VERIFY, not test.

If i look at one end of a run of SWA,(for example)
and the conductors are labelled, and connected to L1, L2 and L3, and i look at the other end, and they are the same, then i have verified that the phase sequence is maintained. Of course you could do a live test (f you have phase sequence or phase rotation on your meter), you could also dead test (by doing R1+R2 checks on each relevanet phase) or just look as i have said:)

Thanks Shakey
I was fearing it to be more complicated than it was.
I think I was just a little 'phased' by the sequence of events.
Cheers
bigal

What do you have to do with your 16th edition testers??
I need to purchase one and the little man in the shop said that he had no 16th edition ones in stock and he was waiting for the 17thedition ones to come in.

---------
Brook

Sreevysh Corp

Re junction boxes, their is a regulation somwhere that says a tool is required to remove the lid. This outlaws the old jb`s with the lids that screw on whith out screws.

The 17th Ed requires you to verify the phase rotation (or sequence) on the part of the system upon which you are working. Newer testers have this facility BUT voltage testers are already available that have this facility built in (albeit a cut down version) for about £30-£40 so don`t ditch your 16th Ed test equipment, there`s nothing wrong with it, just buy a small tester for the odd occasion you need to work on three phase.

If anyone`s interested I can sell them a single phase rotation tester for £200.;)

Reply to Changes in the 17th edition.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net