Discuss Changing fluorescent tube fittings to pendant. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

janderson

light1.jpglight2.jpg

Hi,

I have removed 2 strip light fittings from the attic ceiling and would be most grateful if anyone could give some advice as to wiring some pendant fittings. The single wire seems straight forward but am not sure what to do with the double wires.

Many thanks

Pick up a phone book, turn to the section called "Electricians", Call one
Job done.
Electricians are cheaper and less traumatic than funerals mate.

View attachment 26763View attachment 26764

Hi,

I have removed 2 strip light fittings from the attic ceiling and would be most grateful if anyone could give some advice as to wiring some pendant fittings. The single wire seems straight forward but am not sure what to do with the double wires.

Many thanks

Have a look at the note you made of the connections in the fluorescent light before you took it down.......you did make a note of the connections didnt you?......Oh,that was silly wasnt it?

Being on an apprentice wage I really can't afford to pay an electrician. With the mains disconnected there isn't any danger of electrocution. Will keep searching for help.

Do you have a multi meter with a continuity buzz on it? If so you'll be able to find out which is the switched live without any danger. Then connect up as normal.
Sorry, thought you were a DIYer.

Did both lights come on together, fed by one switch? Could be T&E feed into one, then fed out to the other. In parallel like or summat eh? :) Daz

What wiring do you have at the switch?

If the fittings are switch fed then I would expect DPG has it right, each conductor would then be: red - switch line, black - neutral, green and yellow (once you have sleeved it).
If it is not switch fed then there must be a JB about somewhere as you do not have enough cables.

View attachment 26763View attachment 26764

Hi,

Many thanks

Was it just 2 x fluos in loft or are there others off same switch? put up info that you took earlier when removing fittings

Just the 2 fluos in the loft.

Basically, the first set of wires (live, earth and neutral) went into a 3 way connector strip on the first unit. With the second unit the wires were doubled up. Two live, two earth and two neutral each going into each connector.

Sounds like you have a joint box hidden somewhere with the rest of the 3 plate wiring in it (or a switch fed system of course)

At a guess it sounds like non of the black cores we can see are switched lives so it should be straight forward. At the pendants, earth(s) into the earth terminal (remember to sleeve), the black(s) into the neutral terminal block (same block as the blue core from the pendant) and the red(s) into the same terminal block as the brown from the pendant flex (probably marked Live or switched live).

I am assuming a few things here ofcourse.

Reply to Changing fluorescent tube fittings to pendant. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net