Discuss changing wiring that runs behind plaster. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stewey

Hi, I need to change the cable that runs from the switch to the porch light fitting. I have the floorboards up and the switch disconnected but cannot budge the cable, other than remove the plaster on the wall i am stuck. Is there a trick of the trade to doing addressing this problem.

If you can get it out and a new one in then your magic and everyone will hire you

chase the wall remove the cable, install new cable, plaster, refit switch and light then carryout required tests using calibrated test equipment , record results on a MEIWC
otherwise hire a Electrician who will use his magic and do above

Last edited:
the first question is why does it need replacing?
The fuse blew and the switch, found dampness and small amount of copper showing
on live up to porch light. Thought it best to replace this.

The fuse blew and the switch, found dampness and small amount of copper showing
on live up to porch light. Thought it best to replace this.

I don't quite understanding this. So the fuse blew. I take it the dampness was at the porch light. What is wrong with the wiring that you have to replace it all? Can't you just dry out the dampness and make it better sealed around the light?

Last edited:
I have copper showing on the live just inside the switch box. I bought a new switch and fitted same, the fuse blew after about 5 seconds, so think there is a fault in the wire.

Did you sort out the dampness?

Yes, the house has a porch built onto it. the seal between the house and porch could be better. i have used storm proof mastik to create a good seal. Lead would be better if i had £400 spare.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and money by getting a local electrician who should be able to resolve the issue within an hour or two and at a fraction of the cost and minimal disturbance to decor.

Reply to changing wiring that runs behind plaster. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net