Discuss chasing into concrete screed floors - a risk to the neighbour's lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

laike

i live in a 1960s built ex-local authority flat. the floors are concrete with approx 30mm of screed poured on top, brick walls. the existing cabling is all MICC which i'm considering ripping out, not because it doesn't work but because i'm looking to move some walls and chase new central heating pipework into the concrete floors. am pretty certain this is going to nick an MICC cable and the circuit will be screwed. not to mention it's not much more expensive to do a full rewire than to find someone who can repair MICC.

QUESTION:if i'm chasing into the screed to run my new cables, is there a risk that i could cut the neighbour's below me lighting cables? is there a chance their lights are running through my screed? (if not, how did they possibly run their lights to their bedroom as their ceiling / my floor is concrete?)

really frustrating job this, if there are any certified NICEIC sparks reading this who are keen to take it on, get in touch. location: dalston, london.

their lights will be run either in the plaster on their ceiling or above plasterboard on their ceiling. I think its highly unlikely they drilled through the concrete into the flat above and ran the cables across your floor. but im with napit so my opinion is worthless to you.

but im with napit so my opinion is worthless to you.

sorry mate, no need for the passive aggression.

any of these qualifications would be acceptable:

NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting)
NAPIT (National Association of Professional lnspectors and Testers)
ECA (Electrical Contractors Association)
ELECSA - Owned by the Electrical Contractors’ Association (ECA)
BSI (British Standards Institution)
BESCA (Building Engineering Services Competence Assessment)
Benchmark Certification Limited (Benchmark)

requirements specified by the council...

Quick answer to your question is that it is unlikely that the downstairs lights are in your floor, but not impossible. A full survey before any work takes place is essential. As Tony says you need to understand the structural impact on this work as well as electrical. I applaud you for using a competent electrician, just understand being a member of the schemes you mention does not guarantee competence.

thanks for the advice all. the council surveyor gave similar advice, to get a structural engineer to give approval but in his opinion chasing into the screed should probably not pose a problem to either the structural integrity nor the cables to the flat below.

if any electricians reading this still up for a full rewire, please get in touch. cheers.

micc would have been clipped to the ceiling slab then skimmed over i reckon
check your flat to find out the method of wiring

in my flat (i live in a 2-story maisonette) the lights on the lower floor go into copper boxes in the concrete ceiling, which i assume then drill through into the screed above, run across the floor, down the walls, etc. there are no cables clipped to the ceiling that i can see - i'm pretty sure i've stripped it down to the concrete and it is flush.

the council surveyor agreed it is 'very unlikely' the flat below would have cables running on my side of the floor, however. perhaps they clip & skim as suggested on their side.

Last edited by a moderator:
<< really frustrating job this, if there are any certified NICEIC sparks reading this who are keen to take it on, get in touch. location: dalston, london. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What's so special about NICEIC ???????????

Get on my ---- this does.
:32:

Have you thought about battening the ceiling for your cables and pipes? I would not entertain chiding screed tbh, although I doubt the cables for downstairs are in there.

why not? I have considered battening ceiling tho that would be required in 3 rooms and then I'd have surface mounted cables and pipes upstairs - figured it's better to do the entire job properly, full repipe and rewire chased into the floor and walls.

have an appointment with a structural engineer tomorrow for ÂŁ450 + VAT. :(

<< really frustrating job this, if there are any certified NICEIC sparks reading this who are keen to take it on, get in touch. location: dalston, london. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What's so special about NICEIC ???????????

Get on my ---- this does.
:32:

I've been trying to hire an electrician off the net, you get people saying they're 'qualified', the council says they require proof of the certifications posted above and they can't provide it. Apologies I only posted niceic, it's just the first one that came to mind. The point was that I required someone with certification to please the council who will inspect the work.

What a load of tosh " not to mention it's not much more expensive to do a full rewire than to find someone who can repair MICC ." repairing MICC is as easy, that was first year apprentice stuff lol

why not? I have considered battening ceiling tho that would be required in 3 rooms and then I'd have surface mounted cables and pipes upstairs - figured it's better to do the entire job properly, full repipe and rewire chased into the floor and walls.

have an appointment with a structural engineer tomorrow for ÂŁ450 + VAT. :(

Good man. You don't want a vertical close encounter with downstairs.

Reply to chasing into concrete screed floors - a risk to the neighbour's lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net