Discuss Circuits earthed on metal box/conduit: Does it need a rewire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was speaking to a friend of a friend today who is qualified to do NICEIC work. He was saying NICEIC actually go above and beyond the 18th edition wiring regulations at times and have stricter requirements. Anyone know if this sort of thing is indeed true? I thought the 18th edition regulations were the bible to base all current arguments on.

I was speaking to a friend of a friend today who is qualified to do NICEIC work. He was saying NICEIC actually go above and beyond the 18th edition wiring regulations at times and have stricter requirements. Anyone know if this sort of thing is indeed true? I thought the 18th edition regulations were the bible to base all current arguments on.
I wouldn't strictly agree that that's true, although I suppose individual Area Engineers may have differing interpretations of the requirements. After all everyone takes things up differently.

I was speaking to a friend of a friend today who is qualified to do NICEIC work.
There's no such thing as being qualified to do NICEIC work.

The NICEIC is an organisation who run a scheme that electrical contractors can sign up to if they choose.
It is the company which is registered with the NICEIC and not the individual electricians. Each member company has one (or one per branch of the company for big companies) 'qualified supervisor' who undergoes the annual assessment and is responsible for counter-signing all certificates issued and ensuring that all work done by the company is compliant.

He was saying NICEIC actually go above and beyond the 18th edition wiring regulations at times and have stricter requirements. Anyone know if this sort of thing is indeed true?
The NICEIC don't go above and beyond the regulations, they assess contractors for their compliance with the regulations through annual assessment visits. They also check that contractors are insured, comply with health and safety law and certify jobs properly.

In my experience of these assessment visits they will advise on ways that we could go above and beyond the regulations, but often this seems down to the personal preference of the assessor and not based on an NICEIC rule book.

I thought the 18th edition regulations were the bible to base all current arguments on.
The 18th edition sets out the minimum requirements for electrical installations which, if followed, are viewed by the HSE as likely to fulfill the requirements of the law.

It's not relevant what NIC expect, they're not an authority. All that matters is regulations and the installers interpretation of them. Either way, what the original spark has told you isn't true under any interpretation of any regulation. I'd suggest just binning him off and getting someone who knows what they're doing and isn't trying to make a fast buck out of you.

Reply to Circuits earthed on metal box/conduit: Does it need a rewire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net