Discuss commercial jobs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

wrighty

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi guys,

Im just interested to know how some of you go on obtaining/tendering for commercial jobs? how do you hear of them etc? im out of a job as of friday and am thinking of setting up my own business, i know most go into the domestic field when starting there own business, My problem is i dont have much experience in domestic and its not totally the field i wish to work in, i dont mind doing the odd bit but would prefer commercial projects. is it a case of building up and getting your name out starting with domestic or what?

cheers in advance

I think it's really a case of getting enough work of any type to pay your bills and get started. Then when you are established and have a few more contacts you can have a look at the direction you want to go in.

As a new business you may find it difficult to break straight into the commercial market unless you already have a few contacts.

Is there a local company you could sub contract to for this type of work? This would pay your bills while you get established.

If you have been working at different sites over the past year, could you send the different companies a letter introducing yourself and explaining you are starting up on your own, and you know their system(s) really well and if you could be of any assistance or if they would like you to quote for any work you can be very competitive and would give them them the highest priority on call outs etc. etc.

A few years ago a friend had absolutly no work on and went around a local trading estate talking to the owners/managers and offered to do a PIR for around £90 as I remember. Okay this was way under priced but it served him well, 1) he got some money coming in. 2) He got work from repairing the defects he found. From this his name started to spread as a decent, honest and not overpriced sparky and he's not looked back.

The biggest point is to get your name known out there, and I'm sure the work will follow.

Good luck

Generally i went from a commercial/ind environment when employed to self employed and had to start from scratch(all domestic) and work up from doing all the silly small jobs like putting lights up for little old ladies etc just advertising locally.

that was around 6 years ago now and i have built up a good base of local builders and business customers, less and less of my work is small private domestic jobs now, mostly extensions/renovations from builders etc, admittedly i still have some domestic customers that have used me from when i started out which i still feel obliged to do the odd job for when they need me

it all comes from people you get to know along the way and as said above the direction you really want to go in, i allways chased more commercial/Ind based work as i f'ing hate most domestic work, but it has been my bread and butter really

you would be very fortunate to be able to start out working in the commercial sector straight away without any good contacts!

Reply to commercial jobs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net