Discuss Commercial rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I am a domestic installer mostly install bathroom circuits showers and such but I have been asked to rewire Commercial storage unit there is a 3 phase consumer unit already in place with no m.c.b’s in it but my question is will I need to remove the main isolator and replace it with a R.C.D similar to a residential property or put RCBO’s instead of MCB’s as I am a bit rusty on the regs for commercial properties Thanks for any help

Unless you have a split load RCD board, you only option is for the installation of RCBOs on circuits that require them.

The regs are the same regardless of the installation they are being used for.

definitely NO to replacing the incomer with RCD. as dilb says, decide which circuits require RCD protection and use RCBOs for these. bear in mind the phrase " skilled or instructed persons".

Unless you have a split load RCD board, you only option is for the installation of RCBOs on circuits that require them.

The regs are the same regardless of the installation they are being used for.

Never seen a split load 3 phase db.

Come to think of it, never seen a 3 phase consumer unit :confused:

Hi I am a domestic installer mostly install bathroom circuits showers and such but I have been asked to rewire Commercial storage unit there is a 3 phase consumer unit already in place with no m.c.b’s in it but my question is will I need to remove the main isolator and replace it with a R.C.D similar to a residential property or put RCBO’s instead of MCB’s as I am a bit rusty on the regs for commercial properties Thanks for any help
There is more chance of winning the lottery every day for the rest of our lives than answering that, what earthing arrangements? what connected loads? answer that then we can help

Never seen a split load 3 phase db.

Come to think of it, never seen a 3 phase consumer unit :confused:

My house in Cyprus has two of them!! They are as common in domestic installations as single phase consumer units in Cyprus as well as in many other countries too....

But like yourself, never seen a split load 3 phase CU/DB. They would all incorporate RCBO's where RCD protection is required. Which to my mind, is a far better practice anyway, than single RCD's looking after several circuits....

Some DIs can't get cover for three phase work
I am a full scope member with napit time served electrician with 2391 and 17th edition 12 years experience but I only seem to do domestic properties but want to move to commercial properties too but not done to many of them in the last 12 years.

I am a full scope member with napit time served electrician with 2391 and 17th edition 12 years experience but I only seem to do domestic properties but want to move to commercial properties too but not done to many of them in the last 12 years.
I stand corrected along with everyone else. Sorry mate.

Well you're not a domestic installer then surely

It's a completely different cup of tea, I have seen it all regarding Domestic sparks trying to just do commercial / Industrial work and they always fall short, when you can draw a star delta diagram and connect up a motor which is 3 phase and starter without a drawing you then have a chance, by the way, YEP I CAN DO IT, and I know nothing compaired to some of the sparks here, welcome to the forum lol

Reply to Commercial rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net