Search the forum,

Discuss Communal Smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all.

I have been asked if it is possible to change a damaged smoke that is part of a communal fire system. I can get the unit, but do not want to change it if will effect the system.

Any idea if it will?

Regards

Is this part of a conventional system or an addressable?

If you're not sure just get us the panel details - also what is the nature of the communal area?

How will it effect the system?
I assume that it is a like for like replacement. You will though need to test the new detector and note in the log book if there is one.

Hi there.

Its part of an old office block converted in to flats. I have been sent a picture of the sensor only. I was trying to preempt whether it can be done or if the people in charge of the maintenance of the system should do it.

I will get some more information before I do anything

Hi there.

Its part of an old office block converted in to flats. I have been sent a picture of the sensor only. I was trying to preempt whether it can be done or if the people in charge of the maintenance of the system should do it.

I will get some more information before I do anything

If they have a company maintaining the system then they should replace the detector.

Wasn't sure if they have tampers.

It will put the panel into fault, I assumed you knew this much. See above.

If there is a maintenance contract on the fire system then they should use that company, that is part of the point of having a maintenance contract so I would advise to leave it alone.

How will it effect the system?
I assume that it is a like for like replacement. You will though need to test the new detector and note in the log book if there is one.

What happens if this is an addressable system?
What if other contractors getting involved with the system void the maintenance terms?
Your advice is based on a conventional system only and thus may not be correct.

In fairness I have assumed it will tampers and I have advised the LL to get the building manager to get the company out to replace it.

They are still asking for me to have a look and I was seeking advice from more experienced people in this area.

I will leave this alone as what assumed appears to be correct.

Thank you for the information

What happens if this is an addressable system?
What if other contractors getting involved with the system void the maintenance terms?
Your advice is based on a conventional system only and thus may not be correct.

Yes Darkwood thanks very much for the lecture, I had assumed a basic knowledge of fire alarms see post 6.

Is this part of a conventional system or an addressable?

If you're not sure just get us the panel details - also what is the nature of the communal area?

Why? if the op does not know the difference were you really going to advise him?

See we can all superior.

Please don't fall out over this. I was asking a preemptive question. It is clear that there is a better course of action which doesn't involve me touching it.

Thank you again for the advice

Yes Darkwood thanks very much for the lecture, I had assumed a basic knowledge of fire alarms see post 6.

Why? if the op does not know the difference were you really going to advise him?

See we can all superior.

Try not to get your back up andy I'm not trying to catch you out or pull the rug from under your feet, they were simple queries to your post 3 - we posted at the same time (post 6 and 7) and my quote of you post 3 was done before I saw your following post, when you enter a post you sometimes need to refresh a page to see other posts made to the thread while you were writing and posting, I was unaware of your next post which covered one of my queries to you.

My advice would have been not to get involved if addressable, if not under a maintenance contract I would have asked to get more details of the system as this would have been a simple head and/or base exchange with a test cert' issued or a log made in any maintenance book.

:49:

Last edited:
Try not to get your back up andy I'm not trying to catch you out or pull the rug from under your feet, they were simple queries to your post 3 - we posted at the same time (post 6 and 7) and my quote of you post 3 was done before I saw your following post, when you enter a post you sometimes need to refresh a page to see other posts made to the thread while you were writing and posting, I was unaware of your next post which covered one of my queries to you.

My advice would have been not to get involved if addressable, if not under a maintenance contract I would have asked to get more details of the system as this would have been a simple head and/or base exchange with a test cert' issued.

:49:

No worries Darkwood.

Please don't fall out over this. I was asking a preemptive question. It is clear that there is a better course of action which doesn't involve me touching it.

Thank you again for the advice

As andy says - no love lost here its the nature of the internet that posts sometimes can be read the wrong way or the post sequence can have you asking questions already answered while you were writing, we are both big enough to shrug it off as a misunderstanding :17:

My advice, get the fire alarm maintenance company in
If its addressable, what looks like a simple head change could be a nightmare if it goes wrong. E.g if its a Gent panel with safe addressed devices, you'll create a whole world of pain for your self if you replace that detector!

Reply to Communal Smokes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back