Discuss EV Charging metering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am currently working on a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) consisting of 10 flats, with three parking spots equipped with electric vehicle (EV) charging capabilities.

Our building has a single incoming supply (UKPN 200A cut out), which feeds into a Ryefield board. From there, one cable branches off to each apartment, and another cable goes to the landlord's distribution board, providing power for communal loads such as lighting, cleaner sockets, and the water pump etc.

My question is what is the best method for supplying power to the 3No. EV charging points? Should they be connected to the landlord's distribution board, or would it be more appropriate to have a separate distribution board with its own meter, fed directly from the Ryefield board?

In terms of regulations what is the correct setup? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Part of the question needs to be answered by the Landlord.

I would have thought separate D.B with metering that can be restricted to and charged to the Charge point user.

How do they intend / want to recover the costs incurred by E.V charging, will they be surcharging every Appartment, whether or not they have an E.V, or surcharging any occupier with an E.V whether or not they use those chargers?

Or is the Landlord going to let the Charging costs go for free.

Or are they considering something like in this link,

There are plenty of options with a back office charging arrangement through the chargepoints, I would suggest talking to a few manufacturers to find a setup that suits your landlord's needs

Part of the question needs to be answered by the Landlord.

I would have thought separate D.B with metering that can be restricted to and charged to the Charge point user.

How do they intend / want to recover the costs incurred by E.V charging, will they be surcharging every Appartment, whether or not they have an E.V, or surcharging any occupier with an E.V whether or not they use those chargers?

Or is the Landlord going to let the Charging costs go for free.

Or are they considering something like in this link,

In the project specification it states:

"Provide 100% of the car park spaces with a wired and individually metered and billed electric
vehicle charging points.

Each charging station shall:
- Feature a universal weatherproof socket outlet with secured power supply (note – the
connection cable is to be provided by the vehicle owner).
  • Be of robust, weatherproof, low-maintenance construction.
  • Be capable of metering its electricity usage.
  • Be capable of communicating with a remote back-office management service via suitable web-

based data connectivity – e.g. through a SIM card.

- Come with an option for associated charging point management services from one or more
reputable marketleading service providers.

Services must be cost-effective for both charging point users and owners, and meet the client’s
management requirements in full – including (but not limited to)
- convenient app-based top-up facilities for customer payments and comprehensive landlord
back-office support."

Based on this information, would it be ok to supply the EV chargers from the landlords DB? How would they be individually metered?

"Provide 100% of the car park spaces with a wired and individually metered and billed electric
vehicle charging points.
So 10 flats only have 3 car parking spaces
- Feature a universal weatherproof socket outlet with secured power supply (note – the
  • Be capable of communicating with a remote back-office management service via suitable web-

- Come with an option for associated charging point management services from one or more

Services must be cost-effective for both charging point users and owners, and meet the client’s
- convenient app-based top-up facilities for customer payments and comprehensive landlord
back-office support."
This reads like a cut and paste from a specifiers guide where the person using it has little or no knowledge of what he or she is specifying
Based on this information, would it be ok to supply the EV chargers from the landlords DB? How would they be individually metered?
This point is a bit confusing to say the least
back-office support."
Given the term landlord is used I assume all the flats are or will be rented properties but this is confused by the reference to client's management
Clarification is needed from the architect or project manager as to who are the owners, the users and the customers, are these chargers solely for the flat tenants or will they be open to all users who need to charge an EV before it can be decided where these chargepoints will be fed from.

So 10 flats only have 3 car parking spaces

This reads like a cut and paste from a specifiers guide where the person using it has little or no knowledge of what he or she is specifying

This point is a bit confusing to say the least

Given the term landlord is used I assume all the flats are or will be rented properties but this is confused by the reference to client's management
Clarification is needed from the architect or project manager as to who are the owners, the users and the customers, are these chargers solely for the flat tenants or will they be open to all users who need to charge an EV before it can be decided where these chargepoints will be fed from.
We will be allocating the parking spots to 3 of the flats. With that in mind, how can these be metered?

vehicle charging points.

back-office support."

As UNG, that's cut and paste, probably form a Landlords group website.

The way it should have been done is for the client or their Agent / Architect / Project Manager to consult with EV chargepoint metered suppliers, as but not exclusively, the one I linked to.
Then specify to the installer which metered E.V supplier to use.

That cut and paste section re cost effectiveness is a minefield and a trap for anyone installing the system.
If the client argues that what's been fitted is not cost effective the installer could end up suffering financially.

Re connection, it's either Separate D.B with it's own Energy supplier meter and contract or it's supplied and metered through the Landlords supply Meter, that's another decision for the Landlord as they would need to agree a supplier.

The cut and paste wording is as bad as saying, I need you to provide me a new car, it needs to suit my needs and my colour taste and be the most efficient for my purposes, without giving you any other information.

Last edited:
We will be allocating the parking spots to 3 of the flats.
But that is not what the specification you posted says
The "we will be" is starting to sound like you are the landlord or part of a management team

With that in mind, how can these be metered?
What if the chargepoint is reallocated to a different flat in the future and you are metering them from the individual flats supply

Just re-read the OP
I am currently working on a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) consisting of 10 flats
Since when has a HMO been split into flats, HMO's usually have communal facilities while flats are self contained with there own facilities

But that is not what the specification you posted says
The "we will be" is starting to sound like you are the landlord or part of a management team

What if the chargepoint is reallocated to a different flat in the future and you are metering them from the individual flats supply

Just re-read the OP

Since when has a HMO been split into flats, HMO's usually have communal facilities while flats are self contained with there own facilities
Im not part of the management team, I am the electrical engineering saying where the power to the EV chargers will come from, which is why I asked if it is best to take the supply from the landlords board, or if it should be taken from its own fuses at the multi service distribution board, or if they should be supplied from the consumer unit of 3 of the flats.

This is the spec for the charging points (7kW single phase):

Last edited:
if the 3 spaces with charge points are always allocated to the same 3 flats, surely the easiest way is to run the supply to the load side of the metering on the 3 flats, obviously there will need to be circuit protection but you need that however you do it.

extra metering and billing will not be an issue as the tenants will be paying for there own charging.
ps. the tesla charger is nice and neat, easy to fit and only £485 (7kw if run on single phase, 22kw when 3 phase supplied)

Reply to EV Charging metering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net