Discuss Smoke alarm regulations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
I've asked a similar question before I think and we came to the conclusion that apart from new houses and HMO's etc there aren't any rules about fitting smoke alarms in existing properties that have been extended. We are doing a job at the moment and I have actually fitted a smoke in the existing landing and hall, a heat detector in the kitchen and a heat in the integral garage but despite doing all that the building inspector is saying one should be in the utility as well. You just cant do right for doing wrong these days.

So I've just been reading up on them a bit and had a look through Part B "Fire safety". On snippet states this:-

Extensions and material alterations

1.8 A fire detection and alarm system should be installed where either of the following applies.

a. A new habitable room is provided above or below the ground storey.

b. A new habitable room is provided at the ground storey, without a final exit.

1.9 Smoke alarms should be provided in the circulation spaces of the dwelling in accordance with paragraphs 1.1 to 1.4.

1.1-1.4 just mentions the type of system which is mains D2 LD3 which is mains powerd interlinked and battery backup just in the hall and landing basically.

Note the above says "should be fitted" and not "must be fitted" does anyone know what the hard and fast rules are about fitting a mains interlinked system in the original house when there is an extension being built like an upstairs bedroom etc. Most clients aren't interested in fitting a full system in unaffected parts of the house, especially when its an extra cost they didn't envisage.

In my experience, just do whatever the building inspector wants, they are often surprisingly fairly uniformed about the minutiae of 'the regs' and can have personal takes on things that are not going to be changed by your research of the actual rules. Do what he wants and he will sign-off. Throw it back to the customer if they are not happy with what he wants and don't make an enemy of the inspector , could come back to bite you!

I know at the end of the day I will probably have to do what he wants but you price a job on what the customer wants you to do, you then do the job and move on to the next one, its only then that you get told about the extra stuff the building inspector wants doing. The customer never says "how much extra do you want to do the additional things asked for" they just put it back onto you suggesting you should have done them in the first place within the agreed price, then it gets awkward.

Personally I won't do fixed price work unless there is a clear spec for the job including things like smokes, data, TV whatever else the customer hasn't considered but I feel your pain. I have been caught out similarly before and now seek direct confirmation from the Building inspector involved in advance where there is any doubt, particulary where other parts of the building regs are concerned like fire detection, extraction, disabled access etc etc.

Reply to Smoke alarm regulations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net